T1B (Rampart/Razorwire)

9 replies
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Introduction
Using the format introduced by Ianir, this is a general guide to the T1 bomber. The T1 bomber was an essential ship in domination until the recent changes, and is still useful for the beacon it can field. That being said, it is much weakened compared to previously due to the ease of landing missiles, the strength of EMP and the abundance of strikes. It is a very weak ship in TDM and as such I won't be touching that mode in this guide.

Major Components
Primary Weapons
Heavy Laser Cannon
Upgrades (DOM): T4R (Ignore Armor) & T5L (Shield Piercing).
Comments: HLC have high damage per shot, long range, accuracy at range, ignore armor and pierce shields. Since they are the only option with armor ignore on this bomber, they are a must for Dom. Their high tracking penalty and relatively low accuracy in closer ranges make them weaker in on-node fights, but you have mines for that.
Light Laser Cannon
Upgrades (DOM): T4R (Improved Firing Arc and Tracking) & T5R (Shield Damage).
Comments: LLC are highly accurate and draw very little power, but like LC they lack AP. They also have a very short range, making them worse for clearing bomber ordnance and turrets from nodes. They may be situatinally better than HLC (when firing on targets with low DR at close ranges) but in general, they're a risky choice for a bomber.
Laser Cannon
Upgrades (DOM): T4L (Increased Critical Hit Chance) & T5R (Increased Shield Damage)
Comments: LC are average. They have decent deflection, damage per shot, DPS and power drain, as well as being quite accurate. However, they lack armor penetration, and this makes taking nodes very hard if they're equipped. Swap to HLC when you get the chance.

Secondary Weapons
Seismic Mines
Upgrades (DOM): T4 Preference & T5 Preference.
Comments: Seismics have been indirectly nerfed -- scouts have had their hulls reinforced and strikes are more abundant than ever. However, they still have the advantage of a large explosion radius and complete shield piercing. This makes them the best general-purpose option on this bomber. Take extra radius for an easier time landing them, or slow for a potent effect on enemy ships. Likewise, take crit for a heavy hit or damage over time for reliable damage on enemy ships.
Seeker Mines
Upgrades (DOM): T4 [(increased speed) & t5 (high explosives)
Comments: Seekers are less potent than seismics because they respect shields. They do deal a large amount of damage per hit though, and the DF nerf makes them better against scouts than before. They work well against scout-heavy comps as a deterrent, but otherwise they are quite weak. Extra speed makes them harder to avoid on the close confines of a node, and high explosives makes sure they deal some damage to most ships around.
Proton Torpedoes
Upgrades (DOM): T4 Preference & T5 Preference.
Comments: As a bomber, you shouldn't be out in the open locking missiles. This makes you vulnerable to enemy missiles, blasters and railguns. Don't take torpedoes, you'll rarely get the chance to use them.

Systems
Interdiction Mine
Upgrades (DOM): T4R (Increased Radius) & T5L (Improved Interdiction).
Comments: A strong reason to bring this bomber to a match is this mine. Interdiction mines offer the strongest interdiction in the game for 20 seconds. It is a potent tool against any ships, particularly against enemy strikes and bombers. The extra range should help the mine land (and an extra mine is useless when there is EMP or ion railgun AoE around), and the extra interdiction makes a strong effect even stronger.
Concussion Mine
Upgrades (DOM): T4R (Increased Radius) & T5R (Increased Shield Damage)
Comments: Concussions are weaker than ever now, due to the increased tankiness of all ships. They will be hard-pressed to kill a strike, and even a scout can eat quite a few of them before dying. Take interdiction mines instead.
Ion Mine
Upgrades (DOM): T4R (Increased Radius) & T5L (Reactor Disruption).
Comments: Ion mines deal too small an amount of damage to be seriously considered, and their control is laughable compared to that of interdiction mines. Avoid them.

Shields
Overcharged Shield
Upgrade (DOM): T3R (Increased Overcharge).
Comments: None of the options on this bomber are great, but this one seems to be the least bad. They do grant a large amount of shields and even more upon activation. Use them preemptively to mitigate incoming damage,
but do not attempt to facetank enemy ships. They combine well with Shield Power Converter for constant shield regen.
Charged Plating
Upgrade (DOM): T3R (Engine Power Shunt).
Comments: If you're looking for immunity against mines, CP is your answer. It also allows you to bounce off walls, albeit with the slight risk of instadying. CP has the advantage of constant shield regen compared to OCS, but has less shields overall and also a hefty shield piercing. Combined with the amount of armor ignore in the game, they're not a great option.
Shield Projector
Upgrade (DOM): T3L (Increased Duration).
Comments: SP has a way lower capacity than either other option, and because of this is a riskier choice.
It used to grant evasion for its active duration, but since it has been removed there is no reason to take it really. It does cleanse ion effects, but that alone doesn't make it worthwhile.

Engines
Hyperspace Beacon
Upgrade (DOM): T3 Preference
Comments:The beacon is the single most useful tool on this bomber. Provided you can stay alive, and that the beacon isn't killed immediately, it offers constant reinforcements to a contested node. In team play it can be coordinated to create a wave of players used to overwhelm the enemy.
Shield Power Converter
Upgrade (DOM): T3L (Increase Shield And Engine Power)
Comments: This component doesn't offer team utility, but it does synergize extremely well with OCS.
The constant shield regeneration makes this bomber quite tanky, and quite capable of holding a node alone. The missile break isn't necessary for a bomber since on a node no heavy missiles should land on you. The shorter cooldown is invaluable for maintaining your shields.
Interdiction Drive
Upgrade (DOM): T3R (Increased Duration)
Comments: Long cooldown, hefty cost, no missile break, small AoE... don't use this.

Minor Components
Reactor
Large reactor
Comments: In general, stacking shields still seems like a good way to mitigate burst damage. Large reactor is solid shields, and allows you more time in the fray before you need to break off for regeneration.
Turbo reactor
Comments: Turbo reactor is good for fairly low damage that comes in intervals -- a couple of blaster shots or a low-charged railgun. It's less effective against high burst damage or sustained damage such as continuous fire (as you might see in a dogfight) or BLC shots.It's a valid option, but it means changing your playstyle to suit it. It isn't recommended with OCS since your base regen rate is so low with them.
Regeneration reactor
Comments: You won't regenerate a lot with regen reactor. It won't beat large reactor in mitigating straight damage, and when you're not taking damage it doesn't really matter.

Magazine
Regeneration Extender
Comments: When you're low on power, regen extender shortens the time until the next shot. This makes it more valuable under pressure.
Power Pool Extender
Comments: For continuous fire, this magazine is best. However, you'll rarely be in a position to fire for a long time as a bomber.
Munitions Capacity Extender
Comments: You shouldn't have ammo on this bomber, so this magazine is useless.

Armor
Reinforced
Comments: With OCS, you can have a lot of hitpoints with this armor. If you have Hydro Spanner or repairs on your team, the constant regen will make you hard to kill.
Lightweight
Comments: This bomber can't really stack evasion, and it's less important on a node. It can work with RI or suppression though, for surviving scouts especially.
Deflection
Comments: For damage reduction, deflection is great with CP. This can work quite well as a bomber counter in Dom, but is weak against most other things.

Sensors
Range sensors
Comments: Detecting enemy ships is always useful. You might spot an enemy gunship before they see you, and that can save you more often than not.[/color][/b]
Communication sensors
Comments: In Dom, you'll be fighting on nodes. As such, letting your allies know what's going on is crucial for reinforcements to arrive.
Dampening sensors
Comments: As a bomber, everyone knows where you are. Trying to hide is hopeless and a waste of time.

Crew
For crew, I will be evaluating active and passive crew abilities rather than specific crew members.

Copilot
Hydro Spanner
Comments: As a bomber, your job is to stay alive. Hydro Spanner lets you replenish your hull and is important for this job, unless you know you have repairs on your team.
Suppression
Comments: Decent utility at suppressing a particularly good player, and can work with LW armor to stack evasion against one player.
Running Interference
Comments: RI isn't as good as suppression against a single player, but is better against multiple opponents. It also has the benefit of affecting teammates in an AoE.
Wingman
Comments: Wingman is a strong option with 20% extra accuracy, but Hydro Spanner's survival potential is generally more attractive, and evasion is not as prevalent as it once was.
Bypass
Comments: Bypass does not affect ordnance, and is thus mostly useless to a bomber.
Concentrated Fire
Comments: CF is borderline useless even on ships that are built for offence, and this ship isn't. Take a survivability buff instead.
In Your Sights
Comments: If you really need more accuracy, Wingman is probably more useful in most situations.
Slicer's Loop
Comments: Improved to halt energy regeneration for 8 seconds, but it still suffers from a long cooldown of 60 seconds and many other options which are better than it.
Servo Jammer
Comments: This overrides interdiction mines, and this makes it very weak even compared to other ships.
Avoid.
Nullify
Comments: Damage Reduction is next to useless in the current AP-heavy metagame, and CP offers more than enough of it if you want it.
Lockdown
Comments: Its removal of 40 engine power every 40 seconds may have a niche (trolling) use, but it's not good enough to consider over the options.
Lingering Effect
Comments: A little extra hull damage doesn't make lingering effect worth taking over the other, much better, options.

Offensive
Pinpointing
Comments: HLC benefit from it for hitting high-evasion shots and shots at higher deflection. This is a must.[/color][/b]
Improved Kill Zone
Comments: While you don't want to be firing at high deflection, no other option offers any advantage. As a republic player, you don't have the option of getting this in any case because you need B3-G9 for Hydro Spanner.
Rapid Reload
Comments: This has no effect on mine secondaries, so it is useless for a bomber.
Spare Ammo
Comments: Mines have unlimited ammo.

Defensive
Power to Shields
Comments: Shields are very important, and having extra shield power helps to mitigate burst damage.
Quick Recharge
Comments: Not very strong with OCS, otherwise a solid choice. Even with OCS, it synergizes well with EtS converter (which increases the shield regen rate when activated).
Response Tuning
Comments: Essential with LW armor, otherwise not very useful.
Structural Support
Comments: With CP and deflection it's necessary to reach a high DR build. If not taking these components, avoid this passive.

Tactical
Depth of Field
Comments: Tactical choices are not as important, but more senor range never hurts. It's nice to know what's coming at you.
Comm Boost
Comments: It's also nice to let your teammates know what's coming at you.
Peripheral Vision
Comments: Knowing who's sneaking up on you is always nice.
Silent Running
Comments: Since you're probably not going to sneak up on anyone, you can't really hide. More dampening isn't very helpful.

Engineering
Efficient Maneuvers
Comments: Bombers need all the help they can get with regards to boosting, so this is essential. It also makes EtS converter cheaper, a boon when you're kiting and trying to stay alive.
Power to Engines
Comments: More power for boosting and EtW.
Efficient Blasters
Comments: You don't need to fire your weapons often, so don't take this.
Power to Blasters
Comments: Bombers have a smaller weapon power pool than any other ship, making this passive even worse compared to other ships. Avoid taking this.

Domination Optimization
HLC/interdiction/seismic beacon bomber -- good as team support and offers a strong counter to ships on a node:
http://dulfy.net/2013/11/16/swtor-galactic-starfighter/?link=dGEAAAEBAQECAQMA7ALsAewA0ADQAeAA4ALgAOA=

HLC/interdiction/seismic EtS bomber -- less support than a beacon bomber, but a lot tankier:
http://dulfy.net/2013/11/16/swtor-galactic-starfighter/?link=dGEAAAEBAQECAQMA7ALsAewA0ALgAeAA4ALgAOA=
Posted Jan 24, 18 · OP · Last edited Jan 26, 18
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
So here are my comments about the components:

Primary weapon:
HLCs is definitely a really good choice, but I think LLCs are also useful due to their better tracking pen and accuracy. If you are on the node you profit more from the accuracy in terms of dealing with mines and drones. HLCs are also working but you hit them better with LLCs and the range advantage isn’t there on the node. The only problem I see is by attacking targets that are incoming or leading an attack on another satellite. The problem with attacking a satellite is the lack of AP, but if you can coordinate with a strike or scout dealing with Turrets shouldn’t be a problem. Besides of turrets AP doesn’t give that much of an advantage in my opinion. Thus I would rate them as yellow.

Secondary Weapons:
Nothing to add really, maybe mentioning the double snare might be worth it since it is a guide and that was really an effective bomber strategy.

Systems:
Just to add in an ongoing battle on a node it is unlikely to have more than one mine up even without EMP or Ion AoE. The Interdiction effect is really awesome and can help you a lot with surviving scouts. But if you use Interdiction Mines it feels like you severely lack damage. So in my opinion Concussion Mines would also be a solid opinion to choose if you want damage. Out of the System Mines Concussion Mines deal the most damage. But as a reminder only choose it if you are confident enough to survive without the interdiction debuff.

Shields:
Personally I would rate the Shields slightly different. Overcharged Shield (Yellow), Charged Plating (Red), Shield Projector (Yellow).
Yellow for OS because it feels really clunky and the regeneration is too reliant on the active which has a really long cooldown. So you need it to use it on CD for Shield management. This on the other hand leads to the loss of any response element if you face serious fast trouble on the node and a high chance of wasting shield energy due to power management. Though some of its deficits are out balanced by E2S like Close mentioned.
As for Charged Plating it is only worthwhile if you go full DR stacking => 99% DR. If you don’t crashing isn’t as safe when on node. Also a nice upside is the aid in Engine Power. Though at the moment this shield is sadly a no go (thus I would rate it red) because nearly every ship you will encounter has AP. If AP becomes less common it might be more viable again.
About Shield Projector. I know Close showed me the math some time ago that you get less shields from it than from OS. But if I remember correctly the difference wasn’t that large @close-shave? Oh and could you calculate if it takes more damage than CP if you have the time? Personally I like it more than OS since it is less clunky has a lower cooldown and you are less punished if you screw up power management. There is also the bonus that it annuls ion debuffs, which can be a pain since you normally need every energy you can get. Especially in a bomber.

Engines:
Personally I would go for the missile break on E2S just for the off chance of a Torpedo or Sabo hitting you. As you mentioned if you do it right it shouldn’t happen, but you can always screw up or judge sth incorrectly.

Reactor:
Another plus point is that Large interacts positively with OCS and SP.

Sensors:
I would go for Range since it allows you to see any incoming Gunships before they can shoot if you also get it from tactical. Since Gunships are the most annoying thing to deal with in a bomber I would prioritize them over Comms, especially since they are kind of redundant if you have voice.

Defensive:
Is Response Turning really as good as Power to Shields and Quick Recharge? I would rate it slightly worse. Maybe it is at the same level as Quick Recharge, but it is definitely worse than Power to Shields.

Tactical:
For the reasons mentioned above I would rate peripheral Vision as a must have. The only reason I see for a bomber to not have it would be a Crew ability in Tactical without Peripheral Vision.
Posted Jan 24, 18
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
HLCs is definitely a really good choice, but I think LLCs are also useful due to their better tracking pen and accuracy. If you are on the node you profit more from the accuracy in terms of dealing with mines and drones. HLCs are also working but you hit them better with LLCs and the range advantage isn’t there on the node. The only problem I see is by attacking targets that are incoming or leading an attack on another satellite. The problem with attacking a satellite is the lack of AP, but if you can coordinate with a strike or scout dealing with Turrets shouldn’t be a problem. Besides of turrets AP doesn’t give that much of an advantage in my opinion. Thus I would rate them as yellow.

HLC have the advantage of accuracy down to ~3000m (on centered shots), and way higher damage per shot -- ~40-50% more per hit. More if you're firing at a target with DR (anything but scouts). I don't think LLC are worth taking for an easier time vs drones and mines, because in their range you're probably going to take damage from them in any case. The tracking is very good, but you're a bomber -- the only thing you're going to manage to hit with them is other bombers. Strikes, scouts and gunships will all out-turn you easily so you're not going to benefit of it.
So in my opinion Concussion Mines would also be a solid opinion to choose if you want damage.

Here's my problem with concussions: best case scenario, they deal either 190.05 hull damage and 897.04 shield damage, OR 220.46 hull damage and 760.2 shield damage. These numbers are to scouts with full hull and shields. You need 5-6 concussion mines to kill a scout, or 2-3 concussions and a seismic. So even against scouts, concussions aren't very good -- you need quite a few hit to kill them. Against strikes, the numbers are way higher due to 10% passive DR and a significantly better hull (almost 50% better). The only case where concussions seem to be really worth it is if you have them set up together with a seismic and a scout sweeps through them.

Shields: I rated OCS green because they're the best all around option right now in my opinion. CP is still good in specialized builds, but it's a very high risk for a lower reward (basically, only mine survivability and better shield regen). SP can theoretically be fairly tanky, but that's only if you manage to stay alive for 10 seconds with it and benefit of all the regen it offers. Even then, it's not competitive with OCS in terms of soaking up damage. SP does cleanse ion debuffs, but that's not a huge bonus -- it doesn't restore your engine power and you're still very low on shields -- 1650 shields with SP compared to 2850 with OCS (in F4).

Calculating CP is a bit more complicated, and I'm not really comfortable doing that since it relies on a bunch of assumptions (which weapon, copilot and such). It's safe to assume that against most ships CP is useless vs. primaries though, so all you gain is the passive shields it offers.

If someone prefers the missile break, they can take it. I think the extra shields and engines, as well as the shorter cooldown, are all more valuable. Most missiles aren't a big threat on a node except if you're surrounded by missile ships, and in that case a break won't save you either.

I agree about sensors. I think range is probably best. That being said, it's only sensors and their impact on the game is minimal.

Response tuning is probably better than quick recharge if you're using OCS, since the shorter regen delay is virtually useless there. Both are small, and depending on your build both are good.
Posted Jan 24, 18 · OP
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
HLC have the advantage of accuracy down to ~3000m (on centered shots), and way higher damage per shot -- ~40-50% more per hit. More if you're firing at a target with DR (anything but scouts). I don't think LLC are worth taking for an easier time vs drones and mines, because in their range you're probably going to take damage from them in any case. The tracking is very good, but you're a bomber -- the only thing you're going to manage to hit with them is other bombers. Strikes, scouts and gunships will all out-turn you easily so you're not going to benefit of it.

HLCs are better on centered shots no doubt. But If you have at least one enemy following you you need to turn a lot as a bomber to survive longer. Thus it reduces your chance of centeredshots a lot. In this case it might be worth to consider LLCs due to the higher accuracy in off center shots. About being in Range from mines and drones. In my experience that is the case for most situations when you are on the node. Which is where you should be.
I am not saying LLCs are better than HLCs in every situation, but there are situations where LLCs are not completely red, so I would go for yellow instead of red.
Here's my problem with concussions: best case scenario, they deal either 190.05 hull damage and 897.04 shield damage, OR 220.46 hull damage and 760.2 shield damage. These numbers are to scouts with full hull and shields. You need 5-6 concussion mines to kill a scout, or 2-3 concussions and a seismic. So even against scouts, concussions aren't very good -- you need quite a few hit to kill them. Against strikes, the numbers are way higher due to 10% passive DR and a significantly better hull (almost 50% better). The only case where concussions seem to be really worth it is if you have them set up together with a seismic and a scout sweeps through them.

And here's my problem with interdictions: In the best case scenario they deal 622 damage to shields. Which can be completely ignored since to shields will be completely regenerated. So the only reason for interdictions is the debuff. Lately I got the feeling that the debuff isn't as helpfull as it was before the patch so I went for more pressure on the node by damage. This might be completely up to the enemys composition or the skill difference. Mx point being if you want to go for survival on the node take a T3F since it can be way tankier and mobile than the T1B. The problem I see with it though is that the damage output while being chased is completely ignorable. Which isn't the case for the T1B with its mines.
So basically if you think the damage is important and more usefull than the interdiction effect in some occasions Concussions are also a good option and definetly not a no go like you characterized it.
Shields: I rated OCS green because they're the best all around option right now in my opinion. CP is still good in specialized builds, but it's a very high risk for a lower reward (basically, only mine survivability and better shield regen). SP can theoretically be fairly tanky, but that's only if you manage to stay alive for 10 seconds with it and benefit of all the regen it offers. Even then, it's not competitive with OCS in terms of soaking up damage. SP does cleanse ion debuffs, but that's not a huge bonus -- it doesn't restore your engine power and you're still very low on shields -- 1650 shields with SP compared to 2850 with OCS (in F4).

So here are my experience of flying with the different Shields post patch. My CP experience was not good at all. As normal with this build you run out of Shields pretty easily and stay without them for some time. With all those AP weapons going around this is a situation you don't want at all. The crashing is still nice but it only helps you to get so far and you still have some time you have to survive without. OCS without E2S felt decent but to be dependent on the active was really annoying and it felt limiting. If you fly it with E2S like I do on my T3B it is definitly good and does its job, but personally I like the beacon on the T1 more and still think it is better to have than E2S. Next I tried out SP. At the moment I am quite happy with its performance. True it does not take as much damage but it is more versatile considering power management. Since it is a regeneration over time the impact you suffer by switching from F2 to F1/3 is way smaller. On the otherhand you can loose 855 Shield Power just by switching from F2 to F1 / F3 because you have a chance of a good shot or want to regenerate Engine Power instinctively.
Also just as a remark slows and a reduced engine regeneration often lead to the death of a bomber on node. If they are Ion based you can remove them. True you don't get engine power but you are not stuck at 35% regeneration. If I have time I will look through my combat files and compare the number of deaths per game between OCS and SP. It might be as good as OCS just on the stats but it is definetly better than CP at the moment.

The break can at least buy you more time in those out numbered situations.

The impact really isn't that big, but in this case it can buy you important time to prepare for the gunship.

True and it would be awesome if you can light that out more with the color coding if possible. Maybe by switching those 2 to yellow and the increased DR to red. At least you would get the message than to definetly take Power to Shields, which you want in every case, and that the other depends on your build more clearly.
Posted Jan 25, 18
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
I went through all the combat logs I had post patch with the GSF parser and counted the number of battles and deaths with SP and OCS and each with beacon (For some reason I couldn't read all matches so there might be a slight error):

OCS:
Number of matches 28
Average amount of Deaths per game 2,036

SP:
Number of matches 18
Average amount of Deaths per game 0,722

This probably isn't the best argument, but apparently at least my performance is better with SP. I will keep an eye out for and compare more normal games. Additionally I will definetly try it out in more serious / competitive set ups. Sadly I wasn't able to be there for most of the 8v8 post patch.

As a side note I am not the only bomber that thinks so, as far as I remember Blizzax thinks the same.
Posted Jan 25, 18
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Blasters: HLC are inferior to LLC on a node in DPS and accuracy, but they're better for AP, DPSh and shield piercing. I'm not sure I want them above red because I don't think they're the correct choice in enough situations to make them actually viable (while I consider yellow "viable but risky"), but I will change that. Perhaps other people will weigh in with their experience.

Shields: I have not had a way worse experience with CP than before. Pre-patch I'd deal mainly with BLC and slug, and now there's RFLC. CP is worse undoubtedly, but it does what it used to do just as well -- negate mines, drones and turrets. It's as good as it ever was active, and only slightly worse when CP isn't active (due to that extra 3% bleedthrough).

OCS I have had a way better experience than SP though. I don't have combat logs to show for it, but I'm certain that I die more with SP. Average amount of deaths per game is not a good stat on its own. I don't have any info about how the matches ended, how tough they were and what kind of help you had on your own team. I know from my experience that SP dies very fast, and on the occasions I flew as a scout against an SP bomber (twice only) I killed them multiple times with ease.

The advantage of a bomber is not only staying alive on a node (as you say, the T3 strike can do that better) but it's staying alive while controlling the node. A T3 strike can't do anything almost, but interdiction mines set up kills for your team and you. I think they're better than before now, because strikes are more common and they're slower than scouts.

I'm not saying a break is bad, but I wouldn't recommend it over the other option. It's less versatile, and only better in a handful of situations.

DR isn't red because it works with its intended build. If you're taking CP, DR is a must. If you're taking lightweight armor, evasion is a must. None of them are bad, and all of them work with the correct build.
Posted Jan 26, 18 · OP · Last edited Jan 26, 18
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
My two cents:

All the shields are bad and could probably all be classified as yellows. They all have huge weaknesses and some minor advantages. I think close just decided that there needed to be a green choice for it to be a proper guide. OCS paired with EtS is certainly a green choice. But is it optimal to run that ship without a beacon? If you want a beacon then your ship is going to be really weak. This makes it a difficult guide to write. It's kinda similar to how the Spearpoint is individually stronger with Targeting Telemetry or Combat Command, but those are yellow choices because Tensor is the reason you use the ship.

Interdiction mines are one of the strongest components in the entire game and imo they are the only reason that a OCS/EtS T1 bomber is close to being a meta ship. Even if you die immediately on a node, it is worth it if you manage to interdict more than one enemy. That interdiction effect is a death sentence, especially because it lasts so long.

You won't be using HLC or LLC much in a difficult game. But HLC are better because you can solo cap a node with them and because you can finish off low health targets with the SP.
Posted Jan 26, 18 · Last edited Jan 26, 18
Votes:
+353
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Administrator
Heavies can also clear turrets when taking an off node
Posted Jan 26, 18
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
I regard green as "a good option in most cases", yellow as "situationally good", and red as "don't take". That's why I marked OCS as green -- I think they're the best option and should be taken almost always. CP is still good if there are many bombers around, which makes it yellow. I haven't seen a ship do well with SP in a balanced match yet, which is why I think it's red. I'm open to convincing though.

Interdictions are a really solid effect and one of the two reasons to bring the ship in my opinion (the other being the beacon). I don't think it can deal enough damage to warrant concussions.

I agree with Siraka and Vexxial, HLC are better for their situational usage as a bomber although you're rarely going to fire blasters at all under pressure. But when you need shield piercing and AP, HLC have them while LLC don't.
Posted Jan 26, 18 · OP
Votes:
+20
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Fleet Captain
Let’s clear this up once and for all: “Green means that this component is viable. Yellow indicates that caution should be used in choosing this component. Red designates a component as almost always being a poor choice.“

At least, that’s how I used them. “Viable” obviously includes “the lesser evil” when you have no good options. So, yes, Close is using them correctly.

I agree with the comments on interdictions vs concussions. When I see an enemy bomber putting out conc mines, I invariably breathe a sigh of relief.

And I agree that Heavies are way more useful for the situations as a bomber where you actually fire your lasers, destroying turrets or a CP bomber or whatever.
Posted Jan 27, 18
NoticeNotices