of 4

Changes in the GSF meta [LONG POST]

33 replies
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
But why does that matter? Why would you not turn in F4?

Also, scouts are not penalized nearly as much for firing in F4 as strikes are. I often find myself firing starguard and clarion RFL in F4 as a bad habit from flying scouts this way. It allows me to track my target a lot better, but I think F1 is probably still a better choice in almost every situation for a strike. With scouts there are a ton of situations where firing in F4 is the best choice because the damage penalty is quite small.
Posted Nov 14, 17 · Last edited Nov 14, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Strikes in F4 are the same as scouts in F4 damage wise. They're penalized in F1/3, but they're better in F4 than scouts (more base weapon power and regen).

I'm not saying you shouldn't turn in F4, just that the turning advantage is very small. Unless you're in a turning fight, it's not a big factor, and I don't think you should get into a turning fight with either a strike or a T3 scout.
Posted Nov 15, 17 · OP
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
I disagree with you there for sure. With F4, taps of boost, and quick strafing taps you can chase and stick to a target like glue in a scout. Most effective in a BLC/pod scout but highly effective in a EMP LLC/pod scout too. The T3 scout is decent but the lack of pods makes it weaker than the T1 scout here.
Posted Nov 15, 17 · Last edited Nov 15, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
You don't need to stick to a target in a strike. Quads have up to 6500m on a T3, and are great from probably 5000m downwards. I can see an argument for a scout with pods for the added DPS, but the T3 doesn't have that. So it's a lot weaker offensively than the T3 strike on average (LLC > Quads only in very close ranges even before considering strikes have their 15% damage boost), and defensively (only actually tankier with all the cooldowns up, for 6 seconds every minute).

I just don't see the T3 scout being an offensive machine, and you're giving up a lot of utility without sensor beacons and repairs, or even tensor or CC.
Posted Nov 15, 17 · OP
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
I wasn't really debating T3 scout vs T3 Strike anymore. I agree with you that the T3 Strike with target telemetry is probably an average ship. With tensor it may have a role on the first death but you'd want to switch to something else. My last few replies were just debating that scouts definitely still have better effective turning than strikes.

But while we're on the subject of T3 Strike, if you're using quads then why not just fly the T2 Strike and use the superior HLC? You're giving up a lot of things just to have access to repair probes. HLC, quick charge shields, a 2nd missile, and turning thrusters. It doesn't seem worth it to me unless you make the T3 Strike more of a node holder and give it RFL or LLC.

Has anyone tried a T3 Strike with combat command, quads, and hydrospanner? I"ve played it a bit. Sometimes it seems really strong but other times I feel like HLC without buffs is stronger than quads with CC buffs.
Posted Nov 16, 17 · Last edited Nov 16, 17
Votes:
+19
Level 1
LEVEL 1
SRW Recruit
Quote:
But while we're on the subject of T3 Strike, if you're using quads then why not just fly the T2 Strike and use the superior HLC? You're giving up a lot of things just to have access to repair probes. HLC, quick charge shields, a 2nd missile, and turning thrusters. It doesn't seem worth it to me unless you make the T3 Strike more of a node holder and give it RFL or LLC.

This is the situation in Deathmatch. The T3 strike is wholly inferior to the T2.

I'm not sure what it is, but in Domination T3 strike is ridiculously effective as a solo node capper and holder.
OUvXrRJ.png

"...Cui non nova gloria nunc est quod rogat Aetius..." ~ Sidonius Apollinaris
Posted Nov 16, 17
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Yea it's good at that job but it will lose to a good battlescout
Posted Nov 16, 17
Votes:
+19
Level 1
LEVEL 1
SRW Recruit
Yes and no. It depends on pilot ability really.
OUvXrRJ.png

"...Cui non nova gloria nunc est quod rogat Aetius..." ~ Sidonius Apollinaris
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
That's why I stated good scout. If a scout can't beat a clarion in a 1v1 situation on a node 9 times out of 10 then he's not good
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Well, if you're going for team support then repairs are more important than DPS. Plus, the T3 strike is insanely tanky and that makes it very good at dislodging enemy ships.

If you want damage the T2 is better of course, but I think the T3 has its place.

I haven't tried CC since the patch, it seems less valuable now that there's less evasion around. It's worth a shot though.
Posted Nov 17, 17 · OP
Page
of 4
NoticeNotices