Main Forum

Need advice about scout play

6 replies
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
I have been finding that I feel as though I have serious trouble getting close enough to do any damage with BLC's on my Sting. I use LC/Pods on my Nova Dive, and can occasionally hold my own. Is there a video or someone's stream that anyone would suggest to study up on? I am just feeling like some of the nuances of scout play are not within my understanding as of yet, and not sure where to start.
Posted Jun 17, 17 · OP
Votes:
+353
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Administrator
Oddly enough, tomm actually once made a BLC tutorial video. Hes not exactly a pilot to emulate with regards to playstyle, but his aim is certainly very good. Does anyone remember where that video is?
Posted Jun 17, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain

General tips:
- pitch (turn up/down) instead of yawing (turning left/right) always. Many players know this, few do it regularly. It should become habit.
- if you're not confident in holding down your mouse key with BLC (takes some practice), take range capacitor and click them every time you're on target.
- focus on BLC only for a while, until you're confident. Using clusters together with them can make you do dumb stuff such as stopping using BLC while you're locking on. Either ditch secondaries, or take pods (which are only useful within the BLC arc and will be utility).
- power management is essential in a scout. F1 whenever you're shooting, F3 when flying, F2 when behind cover and need to regenerate shields, F4 when pulling a tight turn. If you're not 100% on that, practice!
- awareness is key. You can be one-shot even without DO, so you want to be behind cover unless you're killing someone. Get in, deal damage, get out.

Finally, PRACTICE. Scouts have the highest skill floor of all ships in GSF, by a fair margin too. If you want to improve in one, you need to put in the hours.

Good Luck!
Posted Jun 17, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
Thank you very much Shave.
Posted Jun 17, 17 · OP
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
Tomm's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOB0jQCuGYU
GSF forum thread where he posted it:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=788258

Some other videos you might want to look at:

Drakolich's Ship specific Build and Gameplay Tutorial Videos
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=807987
Among these is a video on the T2 scout

Neutrinos' Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUj4Hxsfb4ucp6Snj5E76eA
One of the best scout pilots in the game

GSF school Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTo5N9w5J_9OeqCvKfWMbQ
not scout specific, but has good videos about GSF in general
I mention it here just in case anyone reading this doesn't already know about it

Close shave's tips are good, and I'll reiterate the need for practice -- a lot of it.
I'd estimate that it took me well over 1000 matches in a BLC scout to be able to maneuver myself to fire BLCs at my targets at close range.
Posted Jun 17, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+18
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Fleet Lieutenant
I'll reiterate that Close's tips are good. A few things I'd like to add:

- The ideal situation in a scout is you fly in, nuke a few targets, and get out without ever being hit. This rarely happens, and sometimes you'll find yourself either with a target that just barely got away or just barely getting away yourself. For now, don't chase targets - it's a good way to get yourself killed. For escaping, try to make sure you're never flying with no energy and no cooldowns - you either want to be using RI/DF or boosting away to escape.
- Cover is important not just as a means of letting your energy regenerate between runs, it's also an effective way to gain the upper hand on enemies in dogfights and to avoid getting sniped while you're looking at something else.
- The "range" of BLC may be 4000m, but the effective range is more like 2000m unless you have very good aim. It's hard to get that close to scouts/strikes, so focus on hitting GS/bombers (which is what you should be hunting in a scout anyway).
- If you're really having a hard time hitting things with BLC, quads are a decent second option (especially if you're totally new to GSF).

Finally, I'll just say, as a scout, be prepared to die. A lot. Even with well over 1000 matches I still have matches where I die 7 or 8 times. Don't get discouraged, it's part of being a scout. Obviously you want to avoid it, but just because you died does not mean you were unsuccessful.
Posted Jun 18, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Doing well with BLC is more about flying skill than aiming skill. Practice staying glued to your target as closely as possible.

Also in TDM especially, it's important to manage your cooldowns so that you have a lot of evasion popped while you're shooting at something. You are most vulnerable to railgun fire when you are slowing down to shoot stuff.
Posted Jun 19, 17
NoticeNotices