Main Forum

Quads + pods might work

8 replies
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
http://dulfy.net/2013/11/16/swtor-galactic-starfighter/?link=dGEAAAEOBQQEBA4A8AHsAeAC9ADgAuAB4APgAOA=

I never liked quads + pods because even though the DPS is insane, you need uptime for them to work (the strength BLC have over quads). When I thought about my T3 gunship build I usually fly though, I figured a scout could do almost exactly the same thing.

Hear me out on why this build isn't crazy. Qudas + pods are very strong in head-on engagements, I think that's a given. Double turning allows you to set these up much easier, and booster recharge still allows for some mobility. Retros is a must to force the joust, and long disto is to have more power against GS and pods scouts. I feel like you'll usually kill them in a retro joust, and if not just run away. The rest is pretty straightforward. Basically it plays similar to my T3 GS - careful positioning, and lots of head-on jousting.

Thoughts? I've tried it out solo, but can't speak for serious competition yet.
Posted Jun 8, 17 · OP
Votes:
+18
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Fleet Lieutenant
This would be an interesting play. As someone who uses BLC + pods + retro, one of the weaknesses is that you're leaving things up to RNG a bit on those longer range hits, especially if you can't get up to close range to setup a retro joust. I don't know if you'd necessarily have the nuking power that comes with BLCs and you sacrifice your ability to take out turrets and CP bombers quickly, but it might be better against other scouts and for harassing gunships because of the higher accuracy of quads.

I might try that a bit today.
Posted Jun 8, 17 · Last edited Jun 8, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
I was thinking about TDM primarily, but even in Dom you can kill CP bombers quite well with this build assuming you have pods left (and if it is a tough match, you will).

I took quads over BLC because of the nuking difference. In a head-on encounter, the only advantage BLC have over quads is damage per shot. Quads are absolutely stronger in terms of DPS, and have better accuracy above 1500m too. So losing BLC is not a loss in terms of TTK.

In any case, I flew it again today on TRE, I'll put the recording here once it's done uploading and you can judge for yourself.
Posted Jun 9, 17 · OP
Votes:
+18
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Fleet Lieutenant
Yeah I know quads have a higher DPS assuming uptime. The advantage of BLC is that you don't have to have constant uptime to kill quickly. I suppose you'd be better off surprising gunships and bombers, especially because of the longer range, but I think you trade some effectiveness in dogfights and against people who know how to kite around obstacles. It might be worth it if your team can deal with the scouts and evasive bombers effectively, though
Posted Jun 9, 17
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
I've used this build before. It's quite good when you have wingman but pretty useless when you don't.

I think one of the underrated things about BLC is that their optimal range is outside of the useable range of slug/ion railgun. A GS is actually probably more likely to railgun you through retro than he is to railgun you at 2000m range. Of course he should be either running or using BLCs at this range, but we know a majority of gunships try to land railguns at close range.
Posted Jun 9, 17 · Last edited Jun 9, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain

Both with that build, both against decent opposition. So it can't be argued I farmed (at least, I think not).

Schwarzschilda this build is meant to kill retro scouts. It does that, too - once you're in a retro, you can't decide to disengage. That's when I get my uptime. Of course, PD scouts will run away and kite, that's what they are meant to do. And that's fine. As for people kiting around obstacles - double turning deals with that, not to mention the range advantage quads have. So if someone is really determined to stay alive, they probably will - but they probably will against any build.

Siraka I disagree that the build is useless without WM. I feel like it's actually stronger than BLC/pods without WM, because you don't need to stick to your target to land shots on them. The long disto is a definite advantage in dogfights, the only weakness (I feel) is against a clusters scout that decides to chase you. I might swap to disto break, but we'll see.
Posted Jun 10, 17 · OP
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Damn that sounds cool, I'll have to check those vids out tonight
Posted Jun 10, 17
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Looked like fairly even teams and it still performed well against good players. I was kinda surprised that Vospirus kept taking you head on though, I would have figured he'd try to flank you more, especially with his BLC/cluster.

I think Sriia used to run this build in Denon games. I think that actually may be the most legit use of the build since you can cover a huge distance and still have a chance to kill pretty much every ship/build in the game. Booster recharge definitely has great synergy with retro thrusters since it covers its only two weaknesses (decreased mobility and suscepitbility to ion). And Quads definitely benefit a lot from retro thrusters because you can almost always line up targets and have a lot of control over staying in your ideal ranges. The three second spike in evasion is also really great for both scout jousts and killing gunship walls. I consider it to be really similar to DF - 3 seconds vs 6 seconds and 24% evasion vs 35% evasion, but the movement during the retro probably makes up that last 11%. And the benefit of quads is that the DPS and accuracy is barely affected by using them during the move. BLC needs to be in the face for it to be effective, which I think is why pdive + running interference is the optimal gunship hunting build. Come to think of it though, TT8% + RI 15% = 23% evasion which is less evasion than retro gives you. So technically this build has very similar evasion to the "evasion" scout. It's a shorter timeframe, but retro also works every 15 seconds which makes it way more useful than running interference.

Whenever I used this build in the past I always got super annoyed when wingman was on cooldown, but it seems like you managed to do decently without it. Other than the small hiccups near the beginning of that mesas TDM I think you played especially well. I did notice you weren't popping DF very liberally at the start of that game, perhaps because you underrated your opponents and didn't think it was necessary.

One more thing - I feel like double turning was pretty useful for you at times, but I feel like regen thrusters would have actually helped you a lot more here. There were definitely times where you couldn't fly to where you wanted to due to running low on engines. And against a team of more gunships, you'd probably want the extra engines.

I'll have to give it another shot!
Posted Jun 11, 17 · Last edited Jun 11, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Vospirus' first scout was Booster recharge/retros/double turning/clusters. He did get me a couple of times in that one, but he was wasting too much time doing that (which is why I assume he swapped and stopped). His second scout was the standard BLC/pods/retros jousting build, and that was hands down inferior as long as I managed to stay over 2000m from him. It's like I said - retros are meant to joust, if you have them on your scout you can't simply stop doing that.

Sriia ran the build with power thrusters, I believe. I can see why you think regen would be better, and I will try it out, but the reason I took double turning is to prevent BLC scouts from closing the distance and circling me. I know that I was sometimes immobile due to lack of engine power, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to give up my turning for it.

I've changed my strategy after trying it out some more. I use my double turning to stick to cluster scouts when my retros are on cooldown, so they can't cluster me to death (as Vospirus did). They can't land clusters on me if we are in a turning battle, and that suits me fine - especially since I only have one missile break with this build.

I usually have an issue with "saving" cooldowns, I assume that's the hiccups you're referring to. I know it's dumb, but often I'll save disto or retros for "an emergency", and die for it... with long disto that's not an issue though (no missile break) so I'll get used to using it for RNG.

In any case, I'll try it out some more and let you know what I think.
Posted Jun 11, 17 · OP
NoticeNotices