of 19

SRW vs Self Inflicted Mondays

182 replies
Votes:
+134
Level 5
LEVEL 5
SRW Recruit
Nice breakdown Axelefekt , I largely agree with your observations. That said, I thought Zarainia did a pretty good job in a tough matchup. Sometimes in a match like that, even if you're well-versed in strafing/LOS, you still don't have the time (or inclination) to perform in a textbook manner - because you're too busy thinking ahead and/or taking risks. You're doing things you either can't afford to do in a close match, or don't need to do when your own team is clearly superior.

Sprig: for a ridiculously long time I didn't strafe either. Like you, I knew about it, but couldn't be bothered to use it. I still did OK. Wasn't until I watched a few top players methodically dissecting my team that I finally decided to buckle down and get used to strafing. It did take practice, but I finally got the hang of it, and I'm glad I did. Inevitably, there are going to be situations you cannot survive (and shots you cannot take) without strafing. I suggest making a conscious effort to do it a little bit in every match. Eventually, it will become second nature. And you'll be better off for it.

On the other hand, not using ion is something I absolutely cannot identify with, lol. I actually use ion a bit less now than in the past - early on, sometimes it was all I used. My motto was "MOAR ION". Probably (in part) because I got a kick out of preposterous damage numbers. When you're preparing to engage in a GS duel, often one solid opening ion hit is all you'll need to guarantee victory. And nailing a scout frequently leaves them dead in the water (or close enough). imo, ion rail is the single best weapon in the game ("best" is certainly debatable, but it's damn good by any measure). Maybe try to spread the ion love a little more frequently.
Posted Mar 23, 17
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
1) My first attempts to strafe were even worse than my first experience with retros. :-d Be patient and practice. :-d
2) Do something about the map in your interface, make it bigger, move it somewhere. The final score is a combined work of 8-man team, not combined score of 8 individuals, working with your team is as important as your individual skills.
3) Ion vs. slug - due to slugs shield piercing, it's never really a bad decision to fire slug, just sometimes it's better to open with ion, especially on scouts that use double turning. It's a bit different in your case, we use slightly different builds so you can actually kill the scout in one hit (with crit), I use increased damage as last upgrade so I always need 2 shots on scouts, that's why I always open with ion.

4) Of course, as Max said, you did well facing the odds and I just have a big mouth when the battle is over. :-d I spent one hour doing the breakdown, I had several minutes to decide on each critical situation, that you had to solve in the moment. I would do a lot of mistakes myself in those situations. I just hope to help you a little bit for future battles and when you kick my ass next time, it will be less frustrating to say: "She's good, and I helped her," than "Fucking cheating bastard." :-d
Posted Mar 23, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
I actually think ion is situational. A very powerful tool, but not to be spammed. Ioning an enemy gunship as a first shot is a decent option if they're exposed, but if they're near cover it's a waste of time - they'll be gone, and you've only stopped them for a couple of seconds. Slugging them will mean they need to go repair, and might die anyway.

As for scouts, the only common build worth ioning in my opinion is retros/TT. Ion a PD scout or a booster recharge one and they'll be out of there in no time. i feel it's better to weaken them so that when they inevitably reach you you'll have a better chance at killing them.
Posted Mar 23, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+134
Level 5
LEVEL 5
SRW Recruit
I actually think ion is situational. A very powerful tool, but not to be spammed.

I agree. For a long time, I think I actually overused ion. I very much lived by a "no such thing as too much ion" rule. But, as I noted above, I've come to rely on it a bit less these days. That said: it shouldn't be underutilized, either. Opening shots, stuff out of LoS/bomber poop (of course), softening targets, crippling unsuspecting/exposed enemies...it's invaluable for those purposes. Ion is not often a flat-out bad choice, but there are definitely situations where slug is simply better. There's certainly a balance worth seeking.

As an aside: though they're rare, I find ion splash kills to be endlessly entertaining.
Posted Mar 23, 17
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
If you aren't using Ion you should be in another gunship.
If you use it 1/4 to 1/2 the time, then you're doing great.
If you use it all the time, you're being lazy (or trolling).

Sprig seems to like to use ion for nodes and slug for duels. That's fine. I think she'd be scarier in a Condor, but I understand wanting the added utility of being able to support a node when needed.

There's something very satisfying about draining a bomber of all engines while they're out in the open. You know they're like "shiiiiiiiit". Slowly wiggling around like some fish out of water trying to flop back in. We've all been there.

Ion a pd/booster scout and they might be out of there, but they aren't going to have the gas to chase you around like they would prefer. Ion is a distraction when hitting scouts. You're pulling them away from a teammate, slowing them down. You could go for the kill, but sometimes lower numbers are better than TTK.

Every tool in GSF is situational. Isn't it?
Posted Mar 23, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
Ion splash kills are endlessly entertaining, true, but what about pure ion kills? :-d Do you want to get a proper revenge on someone for being a major asshole? Ion kill is the creation of pure evil you need. :-d I'm not talking about landing the last hit with ion, what I mean is basicly what Lompi mentioned - you shot them few times with ion and they are just a dead meat, hopelessly waiting for the last hit, but instead of one merciful slug, you keep torturing them for half a minute with your ion. :-d It takes like 9-10 ion shots to take down a gunship, but due to the power drain it is possible. :-d
Posted Mar 23, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
I guess every tool is situational, but in TDM slugs almost never a bad choice and ions can sometimes be. In Dom, it's pretty much the other way around.

I didn't mean to say ioning a scout with booster recharge/PD is bad - even if it does nothing but waste a cooldown, it's still worthwhile. But as I see it, weakened scouts are less of a threat than ioned ones. Even a retro scout might pop TT and disto and limp away. True, he's not killing anyone, but he's also not dead. It's a middle ground as I see it.

Of course I agree ions have the trolling benefit. I've killed (and died to) the ghost squad remnants via ions alone as a tool of spite. Nothing more satisfying, and nothing more frustrating than being on the receiving end of that.
Posted Mar 23, 17
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Yeah I think ion is the best choice as a first shot against anything that doesn't have power dive or booster recharge. And slug is better vs low hull targets, of course.

Vs. retro scouts I think alternating 1/4 ion and 1/4 slug taps is the best

Vs. barrel scouts it's a tough choice and very conditional...slug is the easy choice, but a well placed full ion shot can guarantee a kill
Posted Mar 23, 17 · OP · Last edited Mar 23, 17
Votes:
+40
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
Unless the gunship is low on hull/shields, I generally do open duels with ion. Or at least I mean to lol. I also usually ion bombers if they have any shields left at all because it's a pain to get through them. With strikes, I might ion or not depending on whether I feel like it mostly (well, I guess whether I think they're going to get away plays into it). I usually do not ion scouts. I just find them annoying enough to hit that I hate if they just get away none the worse for wear after being ioned. Also, my scouts either have power dive or booster recharge, so ion doesn't usually do anything to me in a scout, which makes me less inclined to use it on another scout (I usually do what I hate on another ship). Seeing which engine abilities they have is probably a good idea, but I don't usually pay enough attention to know.
Posted Mar 23, 17 · Last edited Mar 23, 17
Votes:
+322
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Architect
Thanks to self-inflicted for moving to Wednesday, tonight's matches were good and I'm looking forward to next week. I believe we are doing Monday next week.
Posted Mar 29, 17
Page
of 19
NoticeNotices