of 19

SRW vs Self Inflicted Mondays

182 replies
Votes:
+134
Level 5
LEVEL 5
SRW Recruit
Just to get this out of the way: I'm not here to spy on you guys or gather intel...Vexx has asked me not to peek at the strategy stuff, which I'd never do, because that would be a dick move. And generally speaking I do make an effort to avoid dick moves. That said, if anyone feels the need to demote me or take away my access to the strategy forum, I'll understand.

I feel like I'm kinda serving as the link between SRW & SI, so I'll post here in order to organize/clarify things from the SI perspective. To that end, I can help with this:
wrote:
Can we get a list of the Self-inflicted ppl?

Here are the folks that showed up last night. You may be unfamiliar with a few if you don't play on JC much:

Irys-sín - I'rys from JC, generally in a T2 scout or T1 GS
Oscardivine-sín - oscar, obviously
Sevyn-sín - Dell from JC, generally in a T2 scout
Groot-sín - Choque
Cheesypizza-sín - Wafflesnbacon from JC, will usually bomb
Enurrsha-sín - Enurrsha/BK from JC, will often bomb but may go GS or scout (he's also our resident Quell-master)

...and I think you can figure out who I was.

SI has several other quality pilots who were unable to make it last night for one reason or another (either unavailable, or had not yet gotten around to transferring/creating a toon on SL): nyghtrunner, rakun, binthurmung, marttell. I feel like I'm forgetting somebody, but that's the bulk of the roster. Oh, and Despon said he might join us if we're short on pilots.

Any questions, let me know.

We all had a great time last night. Let's keep it going.

EDIT: lol, never mind my comment above - I see I've already been demoted. no worries, that was probably the right thing to do
Posted Mar 21, 17 · Last edited Mar 21, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+353
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Administrator
I have removed the temptation! Top secret intel!
Posted Mar 21, 17
Votes:
+322
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Architect
Thanks Max!
After a few weeks once we both get solidified teams I was thinking of puttting up rosters on the website so people know who is who for those watching and not part of the action. Do you guys have anyone who is planning on streaming or locally recording?

I liked the matches last night SI played very well especially since I'm sure you are all not mastered yet.
Posted Mar 21, 17
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Very good games, really well played. We're going to really have to work on our organization if we want to stay on top :p

Max - Is Rakun the same guy as Rakuun from Shadowlands? He was part of the original Xi'ao crew.
Posted Mar 21, 17 · OP · Last edited Mar 21, 17
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Unfortunately I work next monday night so I won't be able to fly, but I will be working on the sidelines at least
Posted Mar 21, 17 · OP
Votes:
+134
Level 5
LEVEL 5
SRW Recruit
wrote:
Max - Is Rakun the same guy as Rakuun from Shadowlands? He was part of the original Xi'ao crew.

negative, different dude. our rak is pretty much strictly a JC guy: he's played a total of one match on SL, ever. he's kinsha on the swtor.com forum, if that means anything to you
Posted Mar 21, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+40
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
Ooh, also, here's the only one that I recorded.
Posted Mar 21, 17
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
Mistakes I noticed in your vid: (at least from my point of view - read the following as "How I would do that," not "that's how you should do that.")
1) Start of the match, you were misfortunate with RNG (missed a lot of good shots) and you haven't got a drone bomber on your team, that certainly wasn't in your favor. Still you spent a lot of time trying to fight scouts (Vector and the other guy) on your own, there was a time when that t1 bomber started laying mines close to you and instead of using it as a cover, you actually ran away from that. As a gunship fighting a scout, you should always try to find a help in friendly nest. T1 bomber is not optimal cover in TDM but still some help is better than no help at all.
2) You keep running away in the middle of nowhere, there was a time when you got yourself really high in the map and it was just a matter of time until someone will notice you there and kill you. If you roll away after being shot, you need quite some time to turn around, during that time you're basicly easy target for any gunship and you can't fire back, but if you roll behind an object, you can do that turning manuever in safety.
3) LOSing is your major problem in general, strafe to break LOS is really important defensive move for a gunship and I think you did that once or twice only during the whole match, rest of the times you just expose yourself as a static target. All the evasion on the world won't save you in that case.
4) Ion railgun is the most powerful weapon t1 GS has, so why do you use almost exclusively slug? :-d AOE splash is minor effect in TDM (though you could have earned a little bit of extra space for your team in this match), but the power drain is always a big deal. Remember to use ion more often.

You must have heard something like this many times already, but since you still don't do that I guess it won't hurt to repeat it once again. :-d I will try to mark some actual situations tomorrow (too tired now to watch it again :-d ) so you can see it for yourself.

Last: I'd welcome any kind of reaction, as I said, this is how I see it and I wonder how others see it, whether they would do it same way as I would or they might actually think of different approach, because they find out mine is not optimal as well. :-d
Posted Mar 22, 17
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
Promised breakdown of the match, I believe it will be more helpful to point out certain mistakes I see, rather than just repeating the general blablabla. :-d

1:40 - 2:00 - that's the thing with bomber and scouts, check on your minimap where your team was and where did you go.
3:00 - Close is after you, rolling away was a good move but you had both defensive CDs, maybe I'd use DO first and try to take the shot. That's a minor thing, different playstyle and he died anyway. Major thing - after that you spent over a minute trying to find good position, you didn't take a shot for 59 seconds, eventhough you were unharrased, that's a lot of time.
5:20 - this one is nice, you went into cover, even checked the LOS to the other gunship, I mentioned in previous post that you don't do that so I'm sorry now, I haven't noticed this yesterday. :-d
5:40 - But right after that, it was obvious Lawaar will be after you, you could have 1) started charging, pop DF and try your luck, but he was on 90% hp so you'd probably lost anyway, or 2) run away and hide. What you did - you started charging, then you decided to move a bit forward - which really made no difference, just that you had to stop charging and start again, and then, of course, you died. :-d
6:15 - correct me if I'm wrong but that is the first time when you actually used ion
6:30 - lucky crit meant you won against Lompi, but she was able to take a shot on you... You had a nice piece of rock next to you that you could have used as a cover.
6:50 - Again, Lawaar was able to take a shot on you only because you haven't used cover to break LOS
6:55 - The moment you turned you could have started charging and just strafe sideways to have a clear shot on Lawaar. Made no difference in this case, because he was busy fighting others but you could have killed him 1 second earlier. 1 second is what makes the difference in GS duels and it is why you often lose, or get shot at least, and with each shot you take unnecessarilly, you're closer to losing the next duel. This is the main point of my whole match breakdown. 1 second is the key word that you need to remember.
7:15 - you had Vector coming from behind, you were in good position to strafe up and take him out, he had DO but was low on HP and trying to shot someone else - which he did, maybe if you were faster you could have saved your teammate.
7:20 - It's the moment where you start running higher and higher
7:45 - You run so far you actually get out of map, even when the scout already turned around. You manage to take some good shots then, but only because people are not used to watch that high on the map. Once they noticed you you had nowhere to hide and had to run again at 8:40
8:40 - You could have rolled down, closer to your team, so you can get a little help, you rolled even further away from the map instead
9:30 - again, position with no cover at all, enemies could have shot you from like 270° both in horizontal and vertical way, there's no way you can notice someone's on you in such a wide angle. It's always good if you have a close angle with clear LOS, because you can see people that are after you in this area and you're limited with your firing arc anyway
10:20 - I'm not sure where exactly Lawaar was, too much red on the minimap, but I guess he was on the other side of the column, the one that you had no chance to see, yet you left yourself completely uncovered.
10:45 - Do you still remember the key word? Lompi was faster by 1 second (maybe even less in this case).
11:05 - Well... You did it right there, used ion, cover and strafe... Unfortunately Lawaar had DO and there was other pilots on you too.
11:45 - You surely should have used railgun, started charging behind that column and strafe out for clear shot.
12:35 - There is the moment when you started turning in the middle of nowhere, you haven't even got out of Lawaar's range. He missed the first shot and still he had enough time to finish you
13:20 - That was mostly alright, you just haven't noticed the second gunship, also you could have seen there how powerful ion is. Even if you've noticed Lawaar you were out of weapon power. I would've just hidden myself and wait for the energy there.
14:05 - Same thing with cover, you realized too late and repeated the mistake on 14:20
14:20 - Not only you let Lawaar clear shot, you haven't even bothered fighting him and you switched targets
That's all

Now I have to admit, your team was weaker in this match and even if you did everything right, you would probably lost the match anyway (see 11:05 again), but you could have done better yourself, the match could have been closer and maybe next time it will be the difference between win and lost match. Still remember that this is my opinion on what I would do in a different way and it doesn't mean that my way is the best way. I'd like to ask others again to valorize what I said here, because many of you here are top gunship pilots and you probably know even better then me how to be effective.

Have fun and good luck. :-)
Posted Mar 23, 17
Votes:
+40
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
Yeah, I haven't really figured out the strafing thing, so it takes me a moment to figure out which direction I want to strafe in and press the key and makes me kind of clumsy doing it. So, it often feels faster at least to just turn and boost... Because of this, I also don't usually like to be behind something because I can't easily get out and shoot (and I can never figure out whether I would have a clear view of someone if I do strafe out...).

Also, I don't really pay attention to the minimap, or which way I'm going often, which is how I sometimes find myself where I shouldn't be! I also kind of look right through my team so I don't think I noticed the bomber. Even when I watched it, I had to be actually looking for that to notice it.

As for ion, it's interesting because for a long time when I first started playing, I didn't use it at all. When the Jurgoran was released, I was so happy because now I could have clusters (which I did use on my scout) instead of ion (which I didn't use on my gunship). (I didn't actually like the Jurgoran that much in the end, actually. Maybe it was the engine abilities.) But that was a long time ago, and I would have thought I switch between ion and slug like anyone else. Maybe I'm still biased toward slug though, again because it feels more convenient? Especially against scouts, slug takes out a big chunk of their hull whereas ion often doesn't seem to even slow them down... And if someone doesn't have a lot of shields left, I'm impatient to just destroy them already lol.

I think I do spend a lot of time fighting scouts in general, sometimes when it isn't really necessary. Maybe it's kind of like scouts hunting gunships, but opposite. Kind of amusing, but probably a bad idea in a more competitive match.
Posted Mar 23, 17
Page
of 19
NoticeNotices