Comparing capacitors

101 replies
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
Close-shave , this is what I'm using now:
DPSh = base DPSh * ( 1 + B ) * ( 1 + B_HS ) * ( 1 + power setting ) * if( crit, 1 + crit damage, 1 )
B = sum of damage bonuses to both hull and shield = 5% + damage cap + DO
B_HS = sum of damage bonuses to hull only or shield only, whichever is applicable

I'm making an assumption that DO belongs with the other additive bonuses to both hull and shield, but that's completely untested for now.

Perhaps I should also mention that I've seen 808 damage several times, which is what my spreadsheet predicts for a close range BLC vs. hull with range cap, shield damage, and F1, but this is basically the most boring case to test.
I've switched my Flashfire to damage cap for further testing, but no results yet.
Posted Jan 19, 17
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
It sounds like the behavior of the powerups hasn't been thoroughly tested.

I think data mining should show this.
Data mining for patch 2.6 PTS:
https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/1vtene/swtormined_26_pts_patch_12113/
I briefly looked through that, but didn't find the powerups.

Jedipedia has a database that almost certainly comes from datamining, and which has data on these powerups:
https://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/abl?q=overcharge&patch=2.6
It's possible there are behaviors not in the patch notes, but this doesn't show it.

Counting separate functions:
Engine: refill, regen, speed, evasion -- 4
Shield: refill, regen, delay -- 3
Weapon: refill, ammo refill, regen -- 3
Damage: damage -- 1

I don't see an inherent problem with having different numbers of effects, but there is a potential balancing issue.
Engine Overcharge, which has 1 more effect than the others, is generally valued significantly over the others, but I think it would still be even with the removal of any one of those effects.

Whether Shield Overcharge increases shield strength should be fairly easy to test.
Just fire a full charge slug with DO at a gunship with Shield Overcharge and a known build that could be one shot without the Shield Overcharge, and see if the amount of damage done changes.

Fire rate might be harder to test.

A way to improve weapon overcharge without significantly affecting gunships is to have it increase primary weapon range by a small amount, maybe 5-10%, similar to the T5 upgrade options on TT and BO.
Posted Jan 19, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
Thanks for clearing that up Pseudo.
Posted Jan 20, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
The thing is, out of the known effects all are mentioned but the ammo refill. It might be that there are some unknown effects, but I doubt it.
Posted Jan 21, 17 · OP
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
Close-shave , I haven't found an opportunity to 1 shot a turret yet, but I found a video where you almost do:
https://youtu.be/OfSjr0BMSH0

At 10:07, you hit a Defense Turret with BLCs, doing 954 damage.
This can only be done with damage cap and hull damage, in F1.
The next highest damage build, using any other or no capacitor, does 937.5 damage at 500m.

Finding this, I watched the rest of the video again and found 3 cases where you had been within 500m of the target for some time, enough that I'm fairly certain you were within 500m at the time of firing.

At 07:09, you hit Redfantom, flying a CP bomber, with 2 BLC crits in a row without TT (probability 1/400), doing 1348 and 1370 damage.
My spreadsheet predicts that 1370 is the maximum such a shot could do.

At 07:39, you hit Cometcat, also flying a CP bomber, hitting his shields twice, each shot doing 913 damage.
Since a teammate was also shooting at the same target, your next shot hits hull only, doing 1027 damage.
These are also consistent with my spreadsheet's predictions for BLCs below 500m.

At 11:50, you stop and fire at hyperspace beacon, doing 885 damage to each shield arc.
Again, consistent with my spreadsheet's predictions.

At this point, I'm pretty confident the calculations are correct, except for DO, which remains untested.
Posted Jan 28, 17
Votes:
+15
Level 1
LEVEL 1
SRW Ensign
Pseudovector , what is your base DPSh for BLC? 699.75, 699 or 700?

I switched to using 700, because I assume the devs have set a damage per shot with DPS being a derived value; not vice versa.

This 1027 damage to my hull isn't explainable otherwise.
699.75*1.15*1.16*1.1=1026.813
700*1.15*1.16*1.1=1027.18

Still there is an issue with the DPS values from the tool tips then.
While getting from 700 to 933 is perfectly doable, for LC that way doesn't work.
Maybe DPS is the basis, but only to derive the DPSh by rounding...?
Posted Jan 30, 17 · Last edited Jan 30, 17
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
I just noticed that I forgot to mention that the last time I noticed something like this.
http://shadowlandsreconnaissancewing.enjin.com/forum/page/8/m/34025565/viewthread/29282312-comparing-capacitors/post/127130300#p127130300

I came to the same conclusion you did, that the game likely uses per shot numbers internally for calculations, and rounds the numbers for display in the tooltips.
700*1.05*1.18*1.1*1.5 = 1,431.045

My spreadsheet, for now, takes in tooltip values and calculates everything from those without intermediate rounding, since I haven't figured out a better way to do things yet.

Checking the other weapons is a good idea.
For each weapon, I calculated DPSh from tooltip DPS, rounded, calculated dps from the rounded DPSh, and compared to tooltip values.
RFL, HLC, and LLC give integer values exactly matching the tooltip.
BLC rounds correctly.
QLC and ion cannons have errors of 0.5 that don't round consistently; ion vs. shield and QLC are correct rounded down, ion vs. hull rounded up.
LC, as you mentioned, has the largest discrepancy trying to use integer DPSh values; neither 790 nor 792.5 round to 791.

I'm not sure if there's any significance to this, but LC, QLC, and ion cannons all have a rate of fire of 150 RPM, and those are the only ones with that rate of fire.
Posted Jan 31, 17
Votes:
+11
Level 1
LEVEL 1
SRW Recruit
This may be tangentially related, but I've experienced multiple occasions of watching enemies with 0 hull health limp away to fight on.
Posted Jan 31, 17
Votes:
+15
Level 1
LEVEL 1
SRW Ensign
Adam Kendall wrote:
This may be tangentially related, but I've experienced multiple occasions of watching enemies with 0 hull health limp away to fight on.

I have seen this, too. But I expect this to be the result of rounding.
Even with conventional rounding a couple of hull points left could qualify to be represented as 0%.
For a scout this would be 1-4 hull points.
Though you will experience this more often on a CP bomber.
It has more total hull points - thus a greater range for 0%. And CP does lead to super small amounts of damage from non AP guns - so higher probability to get into that range without killing the ship.
Posted Jan 31, 17
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
I one shot a couple of turrets with BLCs and recorded it.
I'll upload the video once I figure out a way to split the video file. I forgot to stop recording for a while after the match ended, so there's a lot of useless footage after the match, which I don't want to have to upload.
I tried using VLC's convert feature, but haven't been able to get it to work.
Posted Feb 5, 17
Page
of 11
NoticeNotices