of 11

Comparing capacitors

101 replies
Votes:
+11
Level 1
LEVEL 1
SRW Recruit
After reading this thread, I switched from Range to Freq cap on my FF. (I previously had it on damage.)

And for the first time I can remember, I ran out of clusters.

Bit of a non-sequiter, but if I usually don't run out of clusters it's because I'm dying which means that the extra burst I'm getting is winning me dogfights that I might've lost which means that Freq cap is the best which means that I'll need a fleet of ammo replenishing drones at my beck and call unless there's a ship with two whole missile bays that which can be unleashed with a fearsome thrust at opposition forces.

Or I'm prematurely making snap judgements based on the anecdotal evidence of one match.
Posted Jan 3, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Hey, so another clarification is in order. Lompi was right in two things:
  1. using the phrase "BiS" was a mistake
  2. secondaries don't make or break a build

I've been using freq. cap. for a while now on a hunch. I knew they were highest sustained DPS, but I didn't know when and how. For BLC, range is a very good alternative - it offers some strong advantages in certain situations and no real weaknesses.

In any case, the main discussion here was BLC. For LC for example (Vexxial's blasters of choice) freq. cap. offers less of an advantage compared to damage, and range offers a very small advantage always. In this case power drain and DPSh are more relevant, and even against a scout with disto + TT freq. won't pull ahead by a lot; 10-20 DPS is the difference, while the DPSh difference is also 10-20 points apart.

For different blasters different capacitors are better, but it all hinges on how you use your capacitor. I think that I am capable of sticking to my target well enough for freq. cap. to be worth it for me. If I thought I was shooting most of my shots at >2500-3000m, I would take range. I still might on my clusters scout, because it offers utility and the TTK difference is pretty small either way.

The choice is yours, just know that it's not a huge one either way. I personally enjoy breaking down the game mechanics like that, so I do it and have fun min/maxing my ships. I have no doubt some great pilots (better than me by far) never even gave thought to this stuff, they just took what they liked and made it work. As long as you have fun, everything goes.
Posted Jan 3, 17 · OP
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
wrote:
I have started to record gsf recently - this is the first one i uploaded (raw footage) https://youtu.be/8qSntR__2p4

Very nice! The freq/cluster/retro build makes a lot of sense. I was referring to the BLC/pod/retro build, are you not flying that anymore?
Posted Jan 3, 17
Votes:
+353
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Administrator
It's nice they are all relatively balanced for playstyle rather than having a clear BiS. Range on LC always felt uncomfortable to me since I liked the clusters and lasers to have the same range, allowing for me to either focus on closing in, or full on attack. Adam, have you ever considered plasma warheads instead of double volley? I found I was running out a lot before switching, and I like that the DoT of plasmas can keep an enemy from recharging themselves as I snipe them running off. Siraka also swears they fire faster than double. Personal preference for sure but if running out is becoming an issue, it may be worth consideration.
Posted Jan 3, 17
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
wrote:
I feel that frequency capacitors absolutely have superior damage, but this comes at the cost of power consumption, while damage capacitor adds damage essentially for free. Blaster power pool wouldn't matter to me as much in a scout, but in the gunship, I find my blaster power pool is already often stretched to the maximum, which is why I feel that damage capacitors are the right choice in my case. It is also worth noting that I use LC's so it isn't quite the same as you all who are most likely talking about BLC's.

I'd agree with that. The most surprising thing from these charts is that quads benefit more from range capacitors than LC do. I always thought that LC was basically a more accurate and more energy efficient version of quads but with less damage. I always ran range capacitors on my quads just because they "felt" better.

What do you guys think is the optimal capacitor of the T1 Scout TT/LC/Pod/Wingman build?
Posted Jan 3, 17 · Last edited Jan 3, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
wrote:
It's nice they are all relatively balanced for playstyle rather than having a clear BiS. Range on LC always felt uncomfortable to me since I liked the clusters and lasers to have the same range, allowing for me to either focus on closing in, or full on attack. Adam, have you ever considered plasma warheads instead of double volley? I found I was running out a lot before switching, and I like that the DoT of plasmas can keep an enemy from recharging themselves as I snipe them running off. Siraka also swears they fire faster than double. Personal preference for sure but if running out is becoming an issue, it may be worth consideration.

I take plasma warheads usually. I use clusters to peel scouts off of myself and teammates, so ammo capacity is way more important than DPS. Gunships usually die before you fire a second cluster volley anyway, and against bombers clusters are usually pretty useless. The DoT preventing shield regen is definitely a nice bonus. I also agree that clusters feel off when the primary weapon out-ranges them.
wrote:
The most surprising thing from these charts is that quads benefit more from range capacitors than LC do. I always thought that LC was basically a more accurate and more energy efficient version of quads but with less damage. I always ran range capacitors on my quads just because they "felt" better.

What do you guys think is the optimal capacitor of the T1 Scout TT/LC/Pod/Wingman build?

It's due to the fact that Quads have a steeper accuracy dropoff from midrange, while LC have a steeper damage dropoff. Quads get more accuracy, LC get more DPS. I think that's one of the nicer touches in GSF - other capacitors separate these blasters further by DPS/DPSh and accuracy, but range makes them more similar to each other.

I'd usually take freq. for a LC T1, because you can park at 5000m and stay on target pretty easily. It makes LC more like Quads in that regard, albeit with lower DPSh.

Slightly offtopic, but in your response to the guy who asked for builds on the forums you mention the Combat Command Clarion (Triple-C FTW!). I fly that from time to time, only I take CC/WM/Quads/range cap. The idea is to stack accuracy to insane amounts, and it surprises scouts every time. Frequency is also pretty cool for sustained insane DPS though, but you might wanna try that one out.
Posted Jan 3, 17 · OP
Votes:
+7
SRW Recruit
wrote:
Very nice! The freq/cluster/retro build makes a lot of sense. I was referring to the BLC/pod/retro build, are you not flying that anymore?
I have pods on the second ship - in fact I use pods more often.
Posted Jan 3, 17
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
wrote:
Freq cap, as Close Shave said. I love this build, it cuts through gunships like they were made from butter, and most of t2 scouts never consider t1 a threat (unless they know your name :-d ), still this build can easily melt them before they get in (their) range.
Posted Jan 3, 17 · Last edited Jan 3, 17
Votes:
+11
Level 1
LEVEL 1
SRW Recruit
wrote:
Adam, have you ever considered plasma warheads instead of double volley?

Well, if running out of missiles becomes a regular occurrence, I certainly will. I usually die too quickly to worry about it.
Posted Jan 3, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Neutrinos wrote:
wrote:
I have pods on the second ship - in fact I use pods more often.

I think what surprises me the most is that you are able to survive without regen thrusters. I am way too heavy on the throttle to get away with flying double turning unless it's with powerdive. I did notice that you strategically fought mostly near that northern pillar and didn't really go out of your way to grab damage overcharges.

It was really efficient flying though, and it allowed your Gunship teammate to grab a lot of the DOs. Almost the exact opposite approach as Drak/Mikaboshi/Tomm who favour mobility and DO above all.
Posted Jan 4, 17
Page
of 11
NoticeNotices