of 11

Comparing capacitors

101 replies
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Nice breakdown. The firing at 4400m thing is not ideal, but it does end up happening pretty often around nodes (ship escaping node or your engines are too low). I do really miss that high end accuracy when I play frequency capacitor.

I think range + pod + wingman is still a good recommendation while freq + running interference + cluster also has its place.
Posted Jan 2, 17 · Last edited Jan 2, 17
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
While frequency may look better on paper, for me range won out. I tried them all. I was never an amazing scout, so it was rare for me to get up closer than 2k on someone without blowing right by them. I'll take every ounce of accuracy I can get and not worry about my range so much.

Like anything...circumstances and personal taste will win out.
Saying "___ is best in slot" is kind of meaningless.
What's best for you might not be for me due to varying play style or varying enemies.
I can appreciate the maths and all, but I'm more of a "what feels comfortable" person.
That and most of the secondary components don't really make/break a build.
WH9gN5B.gif
(Oh no! He's running that frequency again!)
Posted Jan 2, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
wrote:
Just curious - is anyone even using damage cap for BLC scouts or is it all about range vs. freq? I'm using it for t3 gunship but I don't really see the point in damage cap for BLC scout.

I don't know, but they might. The reasoning behind damage seems good - that for any encounter where you only get a single shot in, they're better. It's true (except when comparing to range cap. at close to max range), but the thing is that they'll rarely reduce TTK by a meaningful amount. That's why I don't consider them to be a good choice on BLC.

I personally would take range on the T3 with BLC (since your primary targets are scouts who just blew cooldowns to kill you) but again, it's not that big a deal either way.
While frequency may look better on paper, for me range won out. I tried them all. I was never an amazing scout, so it was rare for me to get up closer than 2k on someone without blowing right by them. I'll take every ounce of accuracy I can get and not worry about my range so much.

Like anything...circumstances and personal taste will win out.
Saying "___ is best in slot" is kind of meaningless.
What's best for you might not be for me due to varying play style or varying enemies.
I can appreciate the maths and all, but I'm more of a "what feels comfortable" person.
That and most of the secondary components don't really make/break a build.

I can't really argue with this. I did say that range beats freq. in certain situations, and that freq. was BiS only at what I consider the optimal range for BLC. If you (anyone, not you in particular) knows something about their playstyle that alters this, that's the first thing to consider.

That being said, while secondary components don't make or break a build I do see reason to optimize them (as any other component) for your own play. Unless you enjoy playing a certain component regardless of its efficiency, in which case it really doesn't matter.
Posted Jan 2, 17 · OP · Last edited Jan 2, 17
Votes:
+7
SRW Recruit
I prefer frequency - i usually hold continuous fire on target and quite often the last shot is landed just before the target LOS/uses engine ability and so on. When I was using other capacitors, I was thinking during encounters (especially against bombers) - this target should be already dead.
List
Undo
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
I'm quite surprised you use frequency with retro thrusters. I've personally always disliked that pairing. It would be interesting to watch a video of you flying
Posted Jan 2, 17
Votes:
+7
SRW Recruit
I have started to record gsf recently - this is the first one i uploaded (raw footage) https://youtu.be/8qSntR__2p4
List
Undo
Votes:
+353
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Administrator
wrote:
I have started to record gsf recently - this is the first one i uploaded (raw footage) https://youtu.be/8qSntR__2p4

WOW

Well done! Highly entertaining to watch.

Love the retro usage here

I'd watch more
Posted Jan 2, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Seconded. I'd definitely watch some more games of yours, especially ones like that one. You already know that though...
Posted Jan 3, 17 · OP
Votes:
+15
Level 1
LEVEL 1
SRW Ensign
I used to fly with damage capacitator on my scout toons first - because of the typical intuitive reasoning concerning single shots.
But after doing some calculations myself, it was pretty clear frequency tops damage cap. - especially in time to kill against gunships.

Also I agree with you, that the additional damage from damage cap. does rarely affect the time to kill, no matter what kind of target.
So I changed to frequency and it definitely feels like the right decision.
I also tried range but I like the outcome of frequency much better. But I have to say that my scouts primarily engage gunships and thus are doing quite well with TT alone for buffing accuracy.

The only ships I still use damage cap. on are the T1 and T3 gunships, because I still expect them to fire their BLCs rarely at already weakened targets.
For the same reason the gunships still use the extra hull damage upgrade compared to the scouts where I switched to shield damage (time to kill advantage).
Posted Jan 3, 17
Votes:
+353
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Administrator
I feel that frequency capacitors absolutely have superior damage, but this comes at the cost of power consumption, while damage capacitor adds damage essentially for free. Blaster power pool wouldn't matter to me as much in a scout, but in the gunship, I find my blaster power pool is already often stretched to the maximum, which is why I feel that damage capacitors are the right choice in my case. It is also worth noting that I use LC's so it isn't quite the same as you all who are most likely talking about BLC's.
Posted Jan 3, 17
Page
of 11
NoticeNotices