of 11

Comparing capacitors

101 replies
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Edit: I neglected to consider that with range cap. comes an increase to DPS and DPSh. Fixed, revising my conclusions

I know Verain did the math a while back and decided that range cap. is BiS for BLC. I have a cap. comparison I've been holding for a while now, I figure I'll put it here and hear your thoughts on it. The main thing is that I don't think range cap. is optimal for any blasters unless you feel like you need the extra range. Freq. cap. seems BiS in almost all circumstances.

Engineering crewmember – Yuun/2V-R8.
Increased hull damage (T5 upgrade), power to weapons.
Where relevant, increased crit chance is taken instead of arc/power consumption reduction.

BLCs –
Spoiler: Show

LLC –

RFLC –

LC –

Quads –

HLC –

On HLC, shield piercing was taken instead of increased hull damage. If shield damage is taken instead of hull damage as the T5 upgrade, freq./range cap. are unaffected. Damage cap. difference is as follows:

Comparing capacitors: range cap. will rarely beat freq. cap. under any realistic circumstances for DPS. For example, under 1000m (where you generally want to be firing BLC) your target would need 110% evasion or higher for range cap. to beat freq., before counting any accuracy increasing cooldown. Even at 4000m your target will have to have 34% evasion, higher than base scout evasion (and you don’t want to fire BLC from such a long distance). For other blasters, the gain is less pronounced and therefore even smaller.

Damage cap. is trickier since it depends on the target (shields or hull). Range can beat damage cap. in some cases, but usually damage will come out on top. For example (BLC again), at 3000m the target needs 50% evasion or more for range to beat damage at hull damage. At 4000m range is better than damage at hull damage for any target, but at 2000m the target needs more than 76% evasion. In most cases (since you want to fire BLC as close as possible to your target) range is of no advantage whatsoever.

The bottom line: freq. cap. is almost always highest DPS. It will always increase your DPS by the same percentage regardless of what power setting you are in, too. Damage cap. is behind to freq. in DPS always, but comes with the added benefit of higher DPSh. It will increase your DPS and DPSh more (relatively) if you fire with power not to weapons. Range cap. is generally last in the DPS line; the accuracy gain is negligible in all but edge cases for higher damage.

Freq./range cap. also benefit more from DO, since it increases base DPSh by 100%. A DO will net 76.3% DPS increase (of current, hull damage with all blasters but HLC) to a range/freq. cap. user, while only increasing the DPS of a damage cap. user by 70.9%.

So the way I see it, freq. can reduce TTK by up to ~13% (for BLC & HLC), damage can reduce TTK by up to ~7.5%, and range will rarely reduce TTK. It's worth noting that damage cap. might not reduce TTK at all (if you need 5 shots with or without it, it's effectively not there), freq. cap. will always reduce TTK (if you need 5 shots, the 5th one will always come quicker) and range cap. only reduces TTK very slightly if at all, except in fringe cases (firing on a high evasion target from max range with BLC, for example).

See comments for revised conclusions.
Posted Jan 1, 17 · OP · Last edited Jan 1, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+40
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
So, basically, frequency unless you tend to run out of power (and in that case, damage)?
Posted Jan 1, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
wrote:
So, basically, frequency unless you tend to run out of power (and in that case, damage)?

I made a mistake in the OP. I fixed it, and now it should better reflect on the actual gain each capacitor benefits its user.

I wouldn't say any capacitor is necessarily better. Damage cap. is always better if you can get in only a single shot, or if you can get in the same amount of shots between all capacitors. That being said, if you can get in enough shots to kill the target with both damage and frequency cap., frequency will save you a small amount of time. The following is when considering BLC.

Frequency can save you a lot of time on high HP targets (bombers) - it's not unreasonable to expect an 0.8 seconds time saved, depending on range (compared to damage cap.), although if you're good at sticking to your target it migh net you only 0.2 seconds or less. Damage will typically save you 0.6 seconds compared to freq. cap., and it might save you as much as 0.75 seconds when compared with range. The problem is that if the target requires the same amount of shots regardless of capacitor (defense turrets will always need two shots without lucky crits) then you might as well not have a capacitor.

The mistake I made in the OP was neglecting to consider that range cap. also brings a DPSh and DPS increase compared to blasters without capacitors at the same range. I still don't think it's worthwhile for BLC (although if you fly burst/clusters the extra range can be invaluable for dealing with mines), but it's definitely better now.

For reference, according to the new numbers at 2000m your target would need to have 57% evasion or more for range cap. to beat damage on BLC (and I personally feel that 2000m is pretty much the highest range at which you should be using BLC). Your target would have to have 87% evasion for range to bet freq. cap., at the same range, at which point you're usually better off swapping targets.

I will concede that for some blasters (Quads, for example) range is very good. For Quads at 4000m range becomes better than damage for any target with 43% evasion or more. Frequency cap. is hard to run on them due to their power draw, so range is a pretty good alternative.

In the end it does come down to personal preference. Vexxial once said that he runs damage on all his alts for consistency, and that's a reasonable choice - especially since he runs LC, the difference in TTK is minimal and I could see power drain/different ranges being a problem.
Posted Jan 1, 17 · OP · Last edited Jan 1, 17
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
Yeah, I always used Range Cap.
Not just for the extended range overall, but the wider accuracy ranges as well.
Posted Jan 1, 17
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
The increased accuracy of BLC range cap is super noticeable and worthwhile to use just for that reason. The damage per shot increase is just a nice bonus. Also being able to kill seismic mines from a safer distance of 4400m is important.

BLC/pod/TT5% evasion dispel/range cap/wingman is noticeably very strong even when firing at max range (for example, after using retro thrusters).

That being said, frequency is definitely amazing against bombers, T3 GS, and any other low evasion targets. I typically run frequency on my evasion battlescout and range on my wingman battlescout.
Posted Jan 1, 17 · Last edited Jan 1, 17
Votes:
+31
Level 2
LEVEL 2
Fleet Lieutenant
Range and Dmg on quads depending on my build.... right now I'm testing a build with Ranged quads / Blaster Overcharge / Wingman ... it seems to be rather nasty at the full range along with the pods and allows me to chase a target down like a GS that attempts to barrelroll away from me. Dmg capacitor does more or less keep me in range of where the pods tend to hit more often though without wasting them when I fire together. The other builds with the Dmg capacitor I was running TT instead, but had better sensor range with Mako / whoever the Pubside equal is... and could run a secondary interference as well on my evasion. It did alright as well if a tad slower on dmg, but it was nicely sustained energy pull where I could strafe 2 to 3 targets before running out.
Posted Jan 1, 17
Votes:
+31
Level 2
LEVEL 2
Fleet Lieutenant
On a bomber... the Decimus / Sledge ... Heavies with range.... and if I run quads... just better synced with the clusters and a little more degree to firing arc as well as a faster rate of fire and damage vs anything without deflection armor... I run the dmg capacitor on that build since the Decimus power pool is lower than other ships and it needs as much boost to dmg as possible without running freq.
Posted Jan 1, 17
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
Salute from the scout-heavy server pilot, :-d

Tbh I never considered any other option than range cap on BLC scout before I started with my cross server trips to TRE and Harbi. Flying on Prog was mostly about dueling t2 scouts and those numbers can't be applied to that. You (almost) never fire continuosly in such a fight. I'd say if that's why you have scout on your bar, go for range - that increased accuracy is really noticable. Numbers are really tricky with BLC scout.
Posted Jan 1, 17
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
This turned out longer than expected, but bear with me.

I think the results weren't clear enough. While in certain situations range will beat frequency and damage in DPS, context is important.

kittenmitt0ns Part of my point was to show that while you do gain a slight accuracy buff, that on its own is not enough to consider range cap. - it's too small a buff to be noticeable under any but extreme situations (in which you generally don't want to be firing blasters at the target). The nice thing about range cap. is that it comes with a built in damage cap., so you gain some DPS and DPSh even if you don't benefit from the increased accuracy.

Siraka , Axelefekt I'm putting some numbers up for clarification. The following is the combined accuracy/evasion (accuracy - evasion) required to be had by the person firing BLC for freq. cap. to beat acc. (in DPS):

4000m - 97%, 3000m - 37%, 2000m - 19%, 1000m - 9%. These numbers include in them any buff/debuff you care to think of, the accuracy is after all buffs are applied.

What can be seen is that at 4000m, range will beat freq. in pretty much every conceivable case, except for certain strange outliers (firing at a CP bomber with WM will make freq. beat range by a very small margin). At 3000m however, range is much less beneficial to DPS - even if you're firing at a scout with RI and disto up, you're still better off with freq. cap. for DPS (assuming you have WM + TT). At 2000m and 1000m, even if you're firing at a scout with RI, disto and TT evasion all up at the same time freq. will beat range (without WM or TT, either).

One thing that isn't shown here is that range has the benefit of increasing your DPSh in addition to DPS, while freq. does not. So for engagements in which you can only fire one shot, range is always better - you get a higher chance to land the shot and more damage if you do.

The thing is that apart for the case Siraka mentions (retros, and I hadn't considered this before) you're pretty much always firing at <2000m. In these ranges, freq. cap. is almost always better than range for DPS, while the only benefit range offers is slightly higher DPSh (up to 3% gain at 2000m).

Same comparison, only with damage cap. (for simplicity, I averaged the DPS gain of damage cap.):

40000m - never, 3000m - 98%, 2000m - 44%, 1000m - 17%. Again, this is accuracy needed on target after all buffs/debuffs.

Range is definitely a better option when considering it vs. damage. At 4000m, range offers higher DPS and DPSh than damage, not to mention higher accuracy. It's flat out better in that case. At 3000m, range is still better than damage in DPS when firing on scouts (even with WM and TT) or on gunships with disto up, but damage is better against passive gunships or bombers. The difference is pretty minimal either way. At 2000m, range is better than damage only if you happen to be firing at a scout with defensives up while not using TT and/or WM (if you only have TT available, range will pull very slightly ahead). At 1000m, damage is basically better than range.

Damage benefits a higher DPSh than range for any range up to 3000m (actually more, but nevermind), while range offers higher accuracy than damage for any range. It's a tossup, dependent on range and target more than anything else.

So, to summarize: if you can get only a single shot on your target (less than 0.65 seconds) than frequency is the worst capacitor. Damage is better than range in very close ranges, while range is better than damage in close-medium ranges (or against very high evasion targets).

If you can get two shots with frequency cap., but only one with range or damage (between 0.65 and 0.75 seconds), frequency is better by a bunch. Range and damage again depend on your distance from target, target type and cooldowns in play.
Nixeri On Quads range is definitely a good choice; they have a steep accuracy and damage dropoff starting at 3150m, so range pretty much fixes that. On HLC though, range is only a viable choice if you like the extra 600m. Both the accuracy and the damage gains are negligible compared to other capacitors at pretty much any situation.

The bottom line (talking BLC again here): damage cap. is not a good choice usually, it will rarely reduce TTK and if it will, it won't do so by a lot. It still has the benefit of being able to finish off weakened opponents that any other cap. would need two shots to kill (saving 0.65-0.75 seconds). Freq. will probably beat range in any CQC encounter, but only if you gained an extra shot due to freq. (so, between 0.65 to 0.75 seconds, between 1.3 and 1.5 seconds, et cetera). At any other time, range will beat freq. due to having a higher chance to land a shot and higher DPSh.

I still think freq. is BiS for BLC at their intended range (<2000m), but range has its benefits.
Posted Jan 2, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
The last paragraph gives a nice summary Close. :-d I may have mentioned that now I'm only using range cap on my Progenitor mains, all other toons (TRE, Harbi and Prog alts) runs with freq. -> my point is not that freq is worse, just that you have to consider other aspects than just numbers. I think someone wrote something about geting confused - it was confusing for a while, true, but I got used to it.

Just curious - is anyone even using damage cap for BLC scouts or is it all about range vs. freq? I'm using it for t3 gunship but I don't really see the point in damage cap for BLC scout.
Posted Jan 2, 17
Page
of 11
NoticeNotices