GSF School YouTube Channel

49 replies
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
wrote:
Valid point on the team comp, I should have grabbed a later instance of the rosters, though it does accurately reflect the lack of gunships on my side, which didn't change through the match.
Your team did in fact have a gunship later in the match.
Kaisiet was flying a Quarrel by the time you respawn at 7:43, I believe, having switched after being killed at 7:18 (7:17 on game clock, 6:38 after the game started).
He approached B from above, which generally does not have good firing angles, but he does kill the last enemy on B (Cyberzombie), allowing your team to cap.
Just after your team capped B, the score was 700-384, so assuming no further changes to nodes, your team needs 16 kills more than the enemy to tie, 1 more than that to win.

Another benefit to gunships which you didn't discuss is sniping enemies on the sats, which the other team did to you more than once.
A gunship between B and C would likely have been able to snipe Velsha much sooner than the other ships dogfighting did, allowing more ships to be useful elsewhere.
A T1 bomber with seismic and (interdiction or concussion) mines likely would have as well.
You did have a T2 bomber (Dreknoll) there at some point, which did kill Velsha with a Seeker Mine once, but many scouts have enough missile breaks to evade those for a long time, and can kill railgun drones fairly quickly with pods and lasers (Velsha did this at least once), leaving the T2 bomber relatively ineffective at area denial.

While the repeated references to CF were somewhat entertaining, I think they took up more time than it was really worth spending on that build choice -- time that would have been better spent discussing tactics and strategy, which should be the focus of these videos.
Discussing build choices as they relate to the match is useful, but don't spend too much time on it at the expense of what happened during the match.

The Raw Matches Playlist has 2 videos labelled "GSF TDM Kuat Mesas 02", one of which, I'd assume, should be labelled "GSF TDM Kuat Mesas 03".
I'd also put the Raw Matches in chronological order.
Posted Dec 30, 16
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
Your team did in fact have a gunship later in the match.
Another benefit to gunships which you didn't discuss is sniping enemies on the sats, which the other team did to you more than once.
Good eye catching that he did pop in and out of gs. Would have been nice if it was a consistent presence, as there were points where it'd have been very useful.

I could have made it more explicit at around 14:50 that the diagram with the firing arcs was meant to show that they could also snipe without moving too far from that vantage point. Those low doors (especially the AB impside one) leave you in good position to cover the outside sat without having to run around too much.
While the repeated references to CF were somewhat entertaining, I think they took up more time than it was really worth spending on that build choice -- time that would have been better spent discussing tactics and strategy, which should be the focus of these videos.
Discussing build choices as they relate to the match is useful, but don't spend too much time on it at the expense of what happened during the match.
The way we've been recording these is pretty much stream-of-consciousness, interview style, but I think we hit the high points and carry a little extra discussion of tactics into the post-match stuff. Still, it is in my future plans to do some videos focused solely on tactics for all the maps with diagrammed routes, graphics showing the best places for ships to set up, etc. That would be focused more specifically on the tactics and strategy and pre-written, though.
The Raw Matches Playlist has 2 videos labelled "GSF TDM Kuat Mesas 02", one of which, I'd assume, should be labelled "GSF TDM Kuat Mesas 03".
I'd also put the Raw Matches in chronological order.
I've been debating what to do with them. I have a bunch more I could put up, they seem to get less play, though (and that's not surprising really). Maybe re-titling them to include the date and ships used would be worthwhile. Thanks for spotting that, though.

- Despon
Posted Jan 3, 17 · OP
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
wrote:
Good eye catching that he did pop in and out of gs. Would have been nice if it was a consistent presence, as there were points where it'd have been very useful.
As far as I can tell, he stayed in the gunship for the rest of the game, but you're right that it would have been useful earlier in the game.
I guess that it didn't seem like a consistent presence later, because he was firing at B from above much of the time, rather than somewhere with better firing angles, like the lower tunnel.
wrote:
The way we've been recording these is pretty much stream-of-consciousness, interview style, but I think we hit the high points and carry a little extra discussion of tactics into the post-match stuff. Still, it is in my future plans to do some videos focused solely on tactics for all the maps with diagrammed routes, graphics showing the best places for ships to set up, etc. That would be focused more specifically on the tactics and strategy and pre-written, though.
Yeah, it seemed that way, especially with things like missing the gunship, or when you two are trying to point out different things happening at the same time.

Videos specifically on tactics would be great.
Breakdown videos, though, would be complementary in showing the tactics and strategies in action.
wrote:
Maybe re-titling them [Raw Matches] to include the date and ships used would be worthwhile.
I suggest chronological order, because I've previously been annoyed by playlists that are in reverse chronological order, and needing to manually navigate to the videos to watch in chronological order.
Ex. Drako's Game of the Day playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfn7Ud_e2vaOy1DELIiFYAe0htQcNMHBq

On naming videos, date is harder to mess up than numbering the way you did and a bit more informative too.
Ships used could be good, though it might get long if you switch ships multiple times, but it would make it easier to find matches with a particular ship when you want to look for one.
Posted Jan 5, 17
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
I'll keep the titling suggestions under advisement and decide on some course for those soon.

Meanwhile, Stock Ship has premiered! Hope you enjoy my trip into the ungeared realms.

- Despon
Posted Jan 6, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Really well done! Love the intro, I was laughing my ass of at that annoying sound clip. Looking forward to seeing some more footage
Posted Jan 7, 17
Votes:
+134
Level 5
LEVEL 5
SRW Recruit
The Adventures of Stock Ship are brilliant. I can only pray that some of the target audience is actually watching/absorbing this material. I'm spreading word of the GSF School channel as best I can.
Posted Jan 7, 17
Votes:
+353
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Administrator
Bumping this to the top for people to see!
Posted Jan 12, 17
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
wrote:
Bumping this to the top for people to see!
Instead of bumping, why not just sticky this thread?
I assume you have the power to do that.
Rizartha wrote:
... when I looked at the channel that has these videos I saw that there were a *LOT* of videos to watch. Say what you will but a lot of people are not going to want to watch what seems like hours and hours of video in order to play a game.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=909809

You already responded to this in that thread, but this gets at something that I've been thinking about for a while.
Material intended for beginners needs to not appear overwhelmingly long, complicated, or difficult.
The simple fact that there appears to be a large amount of content could make it appear to be too much to go through, even if the subset that they need to see is relatively short.

One other thing is that the current content is mostly on things that isn't really going to help players with their 1st few matches, when they have no upgrades and are just figuring out the interface and the controls, and things like how to not fly into walls and asteroids or how to not get stuck in space with no engine power.

This is one reason that I think this video, linked in the Stasiepedia, on the SRW forums, and in the guides section of the GSF Discord, is so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mn0651zdA8
It's short (~ 5 min), but still covers pretty much all the basics.

Some suggestions for what could help:

- Link the video above, or create something similar to it: one short video that covers most of the basics, so people who don't want to spend a lot of time have something, even if it isn't as detailed as we might like. If they're interested, then they can come back for the details later, or go to the text guides, like the Stasiepedia.
- Remove everything except the most important things from the home page. Things like Raw matches or "So... This Happened" could distract the beginner and contribute to the appearance of having a huge amount of content to look through. These would still be found in playlists for those interested.
- Break things up into tiers, like basic, (intermediate, if you think more tiers are needed), and advanced, so the beginners know where to start, and what's less important to worry about in the beginning.
- Create some thing that directs players to the videos to start with, like an introduction or getting started video. I can see that this may be difficult until the majority of the content is there.
Posted Jan 12, 17
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
Something that is true of pretty much any entertainment business is that you can't please everyone, and the minute you try to, you're doomed because there are a million opinions and motivations and directions people come from. Everyone learns at a different rate, in different ways, and has a different appetite for content.

Another entertainment truth is that to get eyes on your work, you have to have fresh content delivered up regularly. While I can appreciate that some might find a large array of content overwhelming, the GSF School channel's audience has grown as more content is presented.

I did not think that there were 800 people in the world who were interested in GSF... and yet, Stock Ship's first ep. has 800+ and counting. Maybe they are sailors and mistakenly came looking for yachting tips? If so or not, they did it from the post on Reddit, as that is where the vast majority of hits are coming from. Our little spheres, like here and the GSF forum, are tiny blips on the radar compared to the Reddit swarm.

Having a variety of content length is something I consider important. I know from my own habits that it's often easier to consume videos of 5min or less (a lot easier to produce them, too!)... but there is value in more in-depth treatments as well.

YouTube does have a feature that shows an introductory vid to new visitors, if you have one. I've been meaning to create one, and will do so one of these days.

Making a 'so, you know absolutely nothing about GSF' video sounds about as fun as watching paint dry, and people can run the tutorial... but I may make one like that anyway. Ugh. It would be useful.

I would hope that people can at least scan the content and find 'Basic Training' if they are uninterested in other stuff, and those videos are going to remain short and as accessible as possible.

Most of the eyes on this stuff are coming from Reddit, so they are not even coming to the channel homepage, they're being routed right to the video in the post.
Posted Jan 13, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
Now playing:

Stock Ship and the Lost Shipyards

This is the proper first episode of the Stock Ship series, looking at a T1 scout match on LS. It is very much packed with info for new players. I'm hoping to follow it up with some more bite-sized content, but this one is a thorough look at what you can do when you're stuck out in space with nothing but your RFLs and the will to survive. Eye of the tiger!

- Despon
Posted Jan 24, 17 · OP
List
Undo
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices