of 5

GSF School YouTube Channel

49 replies
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
This video was the 1st time I've heard that there's an initial cost to charging railguns.
I don't see anything that indicates that this is the case in the GSF interface in game, Dulfy's calculator, patch notes, or the Stasiepedia.
I tried to look for such a drain on weapon power in the video, but I'm not seeing it.
It's possible that it's small enough, something like 5-10 power, that it's not something that can be easily noticed just watching the indicator, but large enough to be noticeable after a few shots.

2 cases where it's clear that a snap shot is superior to a full charge are to avoid overkill and on a target that's about to LOS or move out of range.
The former, overkill, is just wasted time and energy, as Lompi said.
In the latter, the alternative is doing no damage to the target, because the target can no longer be hit.
The use for gunship duels is something I hadn't really considered before.
So far my strategy for that has been full charge ion, then slug, or 2 full charge slugs, but it sounds like getting in a partial charge ion earlier for the regen debuff may be better for cases where both gunships are already aware of and aiming at each other.

If you're trying to fit partial charge shots of the other railgun in between shots, the extra damage that can be done is 0.9/2.7=1/3 of a full charge.
1600*0.9/2.7 = 533.3333 slug
1760*0.9/2.7 = 586.6667 slug w/ 10% damage
1850*0.9/2.7 = 616.6667 ion vs. shield
463*0.9/2.7 = 154.3333 ion vs. hull
I'm assuming 0.9s for both reload time and time between switching railguns, with Rapid Reload.
There are definitely cases where this could be useful, since otherwise, you're just waiting for 0.9s for the reload time anyway, so if you have the energy, you might as well fire an extra railgun.
There is one case I would definitely not do this: when I have DO, I'd use slug only, so ion AoE does not warn other enemies there that there is a threat.
Posted Dec 20, 16
Votes:
+9
SRW Recruit
I sometimes use snap shots against gs that I know turn and run at the first sign of incoming damage. It sends them to their back lines in search of repairs which stops them from farming my team and i have more weapon power left to try and get other opponents. Yes, it's only for limited situations and opponents but In those cases I do think it improves my teams bottom line.
Posted Dec 21, 16
Votes:
+33
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/242014/game-update-2.6-galactic-starfighter

I looked through past patch notes for gsf. In this topic, it states it costs a 25% charge to fire the gun, nothing about an initial cost of charging though. Might this be what you're talking about when you say that?
Posted Dec 21, 16
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
Maybe it's the old fps nerd in me, but I think of snap shots as quick flick/twitch shots.
Not just quick charges. That I would just call tapping or saying hi.

Despon used to do two ion taps followed by a slug. It was like a signature.
If he got the jump on someone the first ion would be full charge.

I'll admit, one of the most fun ships to drain with ions was Vex (it was rare).
At some point it almost feels like playing with your food.
I just imagined this happening.
tDXwZIY.gif
Posted Dec 21, 16
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
I'm pretty sure that the switching time is 0 seconds. If you want to switch back you have to wait a second (just as with Directionals), but for a single swap you can immediately start firing afterwards.

The following are cases where I could see rapid railgun swap being helpful:

• Killing the shields on a low health target and immediately finishing them with a slug. I'd say that in this case you could've probably taken that extra ion damage and converted it to slug uptime, so not really useful.
  • Landing an ion/slug on a vanishing target. Useful if you just shot a shot, otherwise exactly the same as firing a quarter shot of your choice.

For interrupts/power drain, quarter ions are just quicker - you wait 0.9 seconds for the railgun to come off cooldown instead of pushing in a quarter slug an waiting a second. It's more power efficient to wait, but slightly less DPS (you lose 440 damage on an 1760 slug, but gain -0.1 seconds in waiting time).

For actual damage dealing, full shots are plain better on any target that can eat them. Slug DPS with full shots, 1760 damage = ~488.9, Slug DPS with quarter shots, 1760 damage = ~279.4 DPS.
Posted Dec 21, 16
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
I'm going to derail the conversation for a moment to point out a new episode of The Breakdown is up, which features one of the more intense matches I've been in recently. Plenty to discuss with that one.

I'll also see if I can get a more thorough explanation of the charging mechanics and railgun efficiency.

- Despon
Posted Dec 21, 16 · OP
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
The Krix stuff was funny, I'm guessing he was your one dislike.
It felt like this video was sponsored by concentrated fire and I still have no idea what it does (much like those weird drug commercials).
Showing team comp at the end you used the screen from when the match started it looks like and not what they actually flew for the meat of the match (tensors switched, etc).
A video breaking down rail charging would be good, it would dispel some of the rumors of instant charge hax once they understand how quarter charges work.
Posted Dec 23, 16
Votes:
+353
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Administrator
Can I be on an episode sometime
Posted Dec 24, 16
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
The Krix stuff was funny, I'm guessing he was your one dislike.
I would expect no less, and no more, of him.
It felt like this video was sponsored by concentrated fire and I still have no idea what it does (much like those weird drug commercials).
I actually worried people might not know CF, and so included a popup in the video to clarify (down at the bottom by the hotkey bar), but to save you the trouble: It boosts primary weapons' crit rate by 36% for 6 seconds, with a 1min cooldown. Note that it effects ONLY primary weapons, so it is useless for boosting railgun crits. It's one of the worst copilot choices for gunships. It has marginal use for scouts, especially those running TT with the added crit magnitude, basically dumping a whole ton of huge crits in a tiny window.
Showing team comp at the end you used the screen from when the match started it looks like and not what they actually flew for the meat of the match (tensors switched, etc).
A video breaking down rail charging would be good, it would dispel some of the rumors of instant charge hax once they understand how quarter charges work.
Valid point on the team comp, I should have grabbed a later instance of the rosters, though it does accurately reflect the lack of gunships on my side, which didn't change through the match.

A railgun 'Gunships: Mythbusted' style vid may well be useful, though I wonder if those who cry hax really seek to understand things and/or would rather cling to the version of reality they have created for themselves.

Vexxial I do plan on having more special guests on various programs the channel offers. We'll see what we can make happen.

Festive flying for your winter holidays!

- Despon
Posted Dec 24, 16 · OP · Last edited Dec 24, 16
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
lol I completely missed that popup.
Maybe because it was using transparent background. Or my eyes are a mess. I'm going to go with that.
True, if the point was "0 gunships" then I guess it didn't matter. Still, seeing one of those guys switch to a bomber so the team would have beacons instead of flying a gunship does make some sense.
Railgun video won't stop the cries of hax completely, nothing will. Some people are beyond reason. Might stop some people from taking them seriously though!
Posted Dec 25, 16
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices