GSF School YouTube Channel

49 replies
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
Breakdown Ep 02 is up!

This sort of match is probably my least favorite to be involved in, because it presents the least opportunity to be constantly shooting at things. But I think it made for some good instructional content/entertainment.

- Despon
Posted Dec 13, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9170726&postcount=12
This post you made on the GSF forums reminded that, after years of ignoring the subscribe button on Youtube, now that I have an account, I can click on it and have some effect other than redirecting me to a login screen, and it might even help GSF.
What you've done on the channel looks really good.

In the last Breakdown (02), you discuss the death at 2:53, saying that you should have gotten out of there.
You were 15300m from Yui, but closed to 13700m to fire, which really wasn't necessary.
It's hard to tell for sure from the video, but if you were 1000-1200m farther back, you still would have been able to hit Yui, but might not have been exposed to fire from Audson to the side.
Regardless, even in the situation you were in, I'd argue that trading 1 for 1 as you did was worthwhile, since Yui had just picked up a DO, so that kill benefits your team more than your death hurts it, by denying the enemy the opportunity to use the DO.
Of course, dueling a gunship that has DO is always risky, even with DF up as you did, but Yui was also facing a 2v1 situation, taking fire from you and another gunship (Ginga'ninja, I believe).

I noticed that you seemed to switch between ion and slug almost every time you fire.
Even when your target had no shields, or almost none, you'd switch from slug to ion.
Why?
Is what you meant by snap shots what I've been calling partial charge shots?
Posted Dec 17, 16
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
On the Yui encounter, looks like I boosted and with just that one push I ended up at 13700m when I could have just tapped regular engines forward and exposed my side less. I should have been lower, though. Just a careless move.

I generally use ion a lot more than slug unless I'm in a match were I know I'll have to be doing the killing. It's probably a bad habit that I alternate as regularly as that, I'll have to pay closer attention situationally. It's almost a reflex at this point. Ion does drain engine and weapon power, too, not just shields, but there are certainly times when I could be more focused on using slug to finish the engagement.

Yep snap shots and partial-charge shots are different names for the same thing. Even if they do take a bit of a charge cost for each shot, I think the technique is valuable against targets moving for cover, or when you need to get the shot off before the other guy.

I'm glad you've enjoyed the content on the channel so far! There's more stuff coming up.

- Despon
Posted Dec 17, 16 · OP
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
I'd like to say about snap shots, Mika mentioned that they cost more than regular shots. Another reason they're not really worth it (in my opinion) is that the railgun cooldown is a constant - meaning that the shorter your loading time, the more relative time out of your total shooting time it takes. This translates to a direct decrease in DPS.

Great videos, keep 'em coming.
Posted Dec 17, 16
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
Tapping ion on people isn't so much about the dps or their shields for me. It's about them being dead in the water and reapplying the debuff. It can drag out an engagement (usually lowering dps output from a high dps target), but the odds of surviving it are higher as well.

For a while I went in the opposite direction and did a lot of full charges or near full. I felt like I wasted time and power doing that for a lot of my targets (overkill). There's a time for full charge and a time for tapping. Doing either exclusively wouldn't be very effective. Knowing when to sacrifice efficiency for other things is the struggle.
Posted Dec 17, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Agreed with Lompi, it's always a case by case choice. It makes the skill ceiling on the Mangler quite high.

For example, if I know a guy runs double turning and retro thrusters (Neutrinos, Keenz) then I know I just need to tap him with ion to put him dead in the water.

Ion taps are also super effective for peeling scouts off of teammates. Being that they are high evasion targets, tapping increases the chances you can land something helpful. When an enemy is already deep in your territory, one tap is often enough to rob the remaining engines and weapon power, and then seekers/clusters/railgun drone can finish the job.
Posted Dec 17, 16 · Last edited Dec 17, 16
Votes:
+6
SRW Recruit
i love "Dem" Snap shots. I Disagree. Snap shot are the factor which help u win most of GS duels. I often snap shots with ion/slug simultaneously in gunship duel , in a split of seconds. You have to take into consideration that being hit while u are charging your weapon on gunships disrupts it a bit. That bit often means survival.
Posted Dec 17, 16 · Last edited Dec 17, 16
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Yea that's a solid point too. Disrupting opposing GS's blaster power early on means he won't have enough energy to kill you, even if he manages to hit through DF.
Posted Dec 17, 16
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Ions do disrupt, I'm not saying there's no utility to draining power quickly that way. However, swapping ions to slugs and vice versa is less efficient than sticking with one until you don't need it any more and then swapping.

If you're going for interrupts or power drain, you'd still need straight ion shots.
Posted Dec 18, 16
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
I think it takes nearly just as long (even with rapid reload) to fire 2 ions as it does to fire ion, slug, ion. If you can spare the blaster power (i.e. yellow orb) then I think it's worth getting that 400ish slug damage in there. Otherwise just ion tapping is good yeah.
Posted Dec 18, 16 · Last edited Dec 18, 16
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices