of 5

GSF School YouTube Channel

49 replies
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
Hello, you may remember me from such GSF School materials as this stream, Despon's Guides, or 'those times on JC when I hung out answering questions for hours.'

I'm here today to offer you a new and exciting opportunity to learn things you may already know. I'm also here to offer new players an introduction to important GSF concepts brought to life through the magic of motion pictures:

GSF School on YouTube

My goal is to highlight useful knowledge and techniques with video accompaniment showing them in motion. The Basic Training series of videos will break things down into easily digestible chunks of information geared towards the novice pilot. I'll also post Raw Matches, unedited, for your amusement and edification, complete with embarrassing self-destructs. I have plans for some other kinds of videos with more in-depth match analysis as well.

User response and my available free-time will dictate how much content gets put up, but I would like to provide enough lessons that new players can sufficiently immerse themselves in the skills needed to compete and more advanced pilots can find something to appreciate as well.

If you are new to the game, or know someone who is, this channel is for you.

- Despon
Posted Dec 2, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+353
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Administrator
This is sooo good! Well done!

U r the best
Posted Dec 2, 16
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
Very nice! Glad you're doing this Despon.

Some suggestions I would make:

Enable cool down timer in your user interface? I'm sure you usually enable it, but forgot for these videos. It's helpful when communicating cool downs on drones/beacons.

I think the full match videos would be better with a small amount of running commentary from you. I know that's more work, but for new players they don't understand all the little things adding up to the whole package. Having you explain why you waited to use an ability, stopped chasing a target or shifted to another node will be eye opening. It might seem overwhelming to new players, but I hope they go back to reference your videos to learn different "tricks" as they progress. I know I wasn't strafing until months after I started, so there's no rush to get them doing everything at once.

Maybe make a separate playlist for the "basics" and "full game" videos. Easier to consume as you add more.

That's all I really have at the moment. I hope your channel gets added to the stickied Stacy's guide.

thumbsup-1439742135.gif
Posted Dec 2, 16
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
I do have plans for full-match commentary videos, actually, going a little beyond what you suggest. It's just going to take a bit of work to get the logistics of making them sorted out. Given some of the horrendous mistakes ---er, teaching moments--- that I made in the scout matches in particular, they are ripe with educational content.

I have (or had) cooldown text enabled on some characters, though never all that consistently. I don't really fly with precision, and my attention is usually focused on the action, so I never had it on for the longest time. I had started using it kind of sporadically, but I think it got disabled when I switched to a new computer since I guess all the interface stuff is stored client-side. It's definitely better practice to enable it, though, you're right. It really ought to be on by default (like a lot of other interface things)

There actually are separate playlists for the different types of videos. Are those not showing up for you?
Posted Dec 2, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
Glad to hear you will be working on some commentary.
Some of the best teaching moments are our own mistakes. I know I make tons of mistakes still. It's nice for new players to realize we're still missing shots and crashing into stuff sometimes even after a year of game play.

Thinking about it some, for your basics videos leaving cool down text off makes the bar cleaner and when you highlight them it looks better. For full match videos it might be better on. It would be nice if it were on by default though. ._.

When I went to the link earlier it was just a jumble of videos sorted by upload date, now it's showing playlists. Looks good.
Posted Dec 3, 16
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Just hopping in to say the channel is incredible, it looks too professional to be true. I understand you're behind the graphics, amazing job! I think narrated videos as well as some more component/basic mistakes guides will be a very good addition, but they're probably in the making already.

Really well done, I'm looking forwards to seeing more of this.
Posted Dec 3, 16
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
Some of the best teaching moments are our own mistakes.
Then this video is really going to be the best!

The Breakdown, ep 01

New series where my performance in matches is dissected like a frog in science class by Mikaboshi, with special guest Mical in this first installment!

Thanks again for the comments, and I hope this will reach some people looking to learn the game.

- Despon
Posted Dec 7, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Good stuff, it's funny to see that Mikaboshi has retired to become a color commentator just like an old football quarterback or ball player lol.
Posted Dec 7, 16 · Last edited Dec 7, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
SRW Recruit
wrote:
Good stuff, it's funny to see that Mikaboshi has retired to become a color commentator just like an old football quarterback or ball player lol.
I had more or less quit before you guys volunteered me to run that teaching gig for Unholy Alliance. So you're to blame for all of this!

We'll see if it accomplishes anything. If nothing else, it seems to be providing amusement for those who have stuck around in GSF.
Posted Dec 7, 16 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+398
Level 7
LEVEL 7
SRW Recruit
wrote:

madden94mdopbustup.gif
MIKAaaaaa-boshiiiiiii

Great job Despon, looking forward to more of these. Glad there's some added humor.
Posted Dec 7, 16
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices