of 7

Non Meta Night

65 replies
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
We could simplify this even further by saying no BLC, no slug railgun, and no mines. All ships allowed.

Quad/pod Battlescout will be strong but it will be countered by T2 and T3 CP Strikes. Ion and plasma railguns will be used to weaken CP Strikes to even the playing field. Scouts will chase down these gunships. Bombers can still provide some area denial via drones, but they'll have to use missiles instead of mines.
Posted May 20, 17 · OP
Votes:
+322
Level 7
LEVEL 7
Fleet Architect
I like that Siraka, simple but effective. It gives enough options to keep things interesting
Posted May 20, 17
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
I guess that would weaken the meganest for shure with only ion and plasma left. It doesn't address the sentry drones and only the seeker mines are taken out. (though I don't know if those are the problematich part about the meganest problem). If you are talking about TDM and DOM in makes definetly sense.
Depending on the situation, e.g. if it is only for tdm I don't think the mine ban is that important?

CP would counter the quads but degree but extensive pod hits are still deadly. Also I find the missing mines not that game changing and a system restriction would be more severe.

Just another thought how to do a non meta night variation: you could try sth like pick and bans, e.g. each team bans a component and each team picks a component that some pilots of the other team must use.
Posted May 20, 17
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
This screenshot suggests that mines do matter in TDM.
As you can see, I was flying a seeker/concussion mine Rampart, and did 26k damage, the 3rd highest on my team, most of which was done by mines.
I was quite surprised to see this, as I would not have predicted that this build would be so effective in doing damage and getting kills.
For context, the reason for using this build was that we had an agreement to not fly any T2 bombers in TDM.
SIn started with 8 scouts, perhaps not expecting bombers, which could have contributed to the apparent effectiveness of this strategy; it would perhaps be less effective against a team expecting it.
Attached Images
Posted May 20, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
It is perhaps a bit late to post this, given the GSF changes that are expected on Tuesday.
I had intended to write a more thorough analysis of the resulting metas and post this earlier, but never got around to it, so I'm posting as is.

I looked for single components to base the event around, similar to Nightmaregale's suggestion as well as what Eudoxia and SI seem to have been doing when not doing a single ship, but that might actually result in an interesting meta.
Interestingly, some of the components I found are among the most iconic Star Wars abilities in GSF.

Power Dive
Despite its advantages, this component seems to be one of the lesser used options in the general population, likely due to the higher skill required to use it without self-destructing compared to alternatives like Barrel Roll.

Directional Shields
"Switch all power to front deflector screen." - Gold leader, during the trench run attack on the Death Star
Probably the most iconic shield ability in GSF.

Proton Torpedoes
The weapon used to destroy the Death Star.

QLC
The main guns on the Millennium Falcon.

I looked at a few others, but many of them looked as likely (or more likely, in some cases) to result in bomberballs and gunship chess as the standard meta.

I originally was going to suggest whatever I found to SI, since they were doing weekly events, but they seem to have stopped.
For now, I'll just post these here.
Posted Oct 9, 17
Votes:
+40
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
Oh, by the way, for your post from months ago above, it didn't really have anything to do with bombers, we were just messing around. Obviously, flying seriously, I'd never fly a scout.
Posted Oct 9, 17
Page
of 7
NoticeNotices