Fleet Administrator
Why not just the Decimus/Sledge instead
Posted Oct 19, 16
Votes:
+40
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
I think the Legion is pretty meta (healing/area defending bomber). Though, apparently I have the non-meta missile drone on mine. Maybe I'll change that. Or not, since I never play it anyways.
Jurgoran is definitely meta. Even without slug (or even without BLCs), it would play like a slightly slower T2 scout with two missiles (!).
I may be biased on this one, but any railgun feels meta to me. Yes, plasma doesn't have the armour/shield penetration of slug or the AOE of ion, but it still has the same range and same sort of playstyle. I would inevitably end up playing the Dustmaker if it were allowed.
Looking at what remains, it might as well be a strike night lol.

Also, I would prefer the Harbinger since I only have the Rycer (and possibly Blackbolt) on TRE.
Posted Oct 19, 16
Votes:
+266
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Captain
Warcarrier is meta, but only with railgun or interdiction drones. I don't think the Sledgehammer is a good replacement even for a non-meta event, since it has either drones or mines but not both. I like the idea of a bomber being able to create a nest that scouts might find hard to counter but strikes will just fly through.

Plasma is completely different from the other railguns. It's harder to land, is less devastating (no regen debuff or armor shield piercing) and spamming it on the same target over and over is much less effective. It's still useful, but it won't be nearly as good as the other options. Especially in an event where evasion will be less of an issue. A gunship flying plasmas would be an assist ship, not the primary killer (as a gunship with slugs might be).

I would obviously prefer TRE, but I have some decent ships on Harb too, I think.
Posted Oct 19, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+33
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
Both events were a great success and like the TRE event, I allowed the same ships. The T1 scout and T2 GS were "allowed" to assist in "dealing" with those pilots that refused to fly non meta or didn't know about the event. More people participated willingly on Harb and on TRE more teams were formed. An issue I ran with on TRE were some people refused to fly non meta, even when requested. The reply was they didn't care the event was going on and would fly how/what they wanted.
Posted Oct 19, 16
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Warcarrier is meta, but only with railgun or interdiction drones. I don't think the Sledgehammer is a good replacement even for a non-meta event, since it has either drones or mines but not both. I like the idea of a bomber being able to create a nest that scouts might find hard to counter but strikes will just fly through.

Plasma is completely different from the other railguns. It's harder to land, is less devastating (no regen debuff or armor shield piercing) and spamming it on the same target over and over is much less effective. It's still useful, but it won't be nearly as good as the other options. Especially in an event where evasion will be less of an issue. A gunship flying plasmas would be an assist ship, not the primary killer (as a gunship with slugs might be).

I would obviously prefer TRE, but I have some decent ships on Harb too, I think.

Yep well said. There's not much point in shooting more than 1 plasma in a row at a single target. And the Sledge/Decimus is basically a sluggish version of a Strike with a small amount of area denial and a weaker CP build option. The powerdive is a nice component to have for countering ion, but it would be less of an asset in a game type like this one. I can't see why it would be worth picking a T3 bomber over a T2 CP Strike.
Posted Oct 19, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 19, 16
Votes:
+8
SRW Recruit
In a domination match I might choose the bomber because of the interdicion sentry drone.
wrote:
An issue I ran with on TRE were some people refused to fly non meta, even when requested

I understand that some people don't want to be forced since they are njoying th egame on their own way. Were those guys experienced players or pilots with a lower skill level?
Posted Oct 20, 16 · Last edited Oct 20, 16
Votes:
+33
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
I understand that some people don't want to be forced since they are njoying th egame on their own way. Were those guys experienced players or pilots with a lower skill level?

Experienced.
Posted Oct 20, 16
Votes:
+136
Level 5
LEVEL 5
Fleet Lieutenant
I flew in the Harb non-meta event (with Maulkat), but not the TRE one.
Since I unlock the meta ships 1st, I hadn't unlocked much that I could use for that event.
I had just enough req to get a T2GS, but it was completely stock.
Still, I tried flying it, but kept screwing up using Fortress Shield, and ended up flying a TT/LC/pod T1 scout for the rest of the event.
I was doing quite well with it, until facing SRW, which seemed like flying against any other GS wall of skilled gunships. I could get 1 or 2 gunships moving, then get sniped by another, and this was apparently not sufficient distraction for my team to do much.

This event seems like it would change the meta more, despite allowing more ships, though with more restricted options on some.

As already discussed, the complete absence of BLCs, slugs, and ion railguns potentially allows options that otherwise are far too weak against these weapons to be viable.
CP in particular looks much more attractive, but I think the combination of HLC, pods, plasma railgun, possibly missiles, and downtime is enough that it won't be OP, while probably still not being nearly useless.

No BLCs means that dogfighting isn't dominated by BLC scouts, though scouts still have an advantage in turning.
LLC would probably be the dominant weapon in turning fights, but if CP is common, it's of limited use, whereas BLCs are extremely effective against everything in turning fights.

The T1 scout w/ LC/pods would still be a very powerful build, even without TT.
Pods easily out-dps any other secondary, aside from railguns, and in combination with any primary, will out-dps any other primary alone, except ion cannons against shields.
With less evasion on gunships due to not having DF, this would still be a very effective gunship hunter.
It still has the same weakness that it currently does: it's hard to hit anything it has to fire high deflection shots at.

This could be a very interesting meta.
Posted Oct 20, 16
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
Yep i'm glad you agree that the T2 gunship was OP in the non meta nights. The problem is that gunships stack really well and the teamwork is easy to coordinate. Is it possible to get affected my multiple plasma DoTs at once?
Posted Oct 21, 16 · OP
Votes:
+15
Level 1
LEVEL 1
SRW Ensign
Siraka wrote:
Yep i'm glad you agree that the T2 gunship was OP in the non meta nights. The problem is that gunships stack really well and the teamwork is easy to coordinate. Is it possible to get affected my multiple plasma DoTs at once?

As far as I remember Drako's results on most debuffs and DoTs were that they get replaced. For example in case of pods this has been proven. Exceptions to this were debuffs not being exactly the same (referring to stacking different slows).
Posted Oct 21, 16
Page
of 7
NoticeNotices