Close games

532 replies
Votes:
+33
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
A belated GG to you as well Siraka.

I didn't think you knew who Enshrak was, but I will say that joust at A took much more RNG luck than it did skill.

From my perspective, you played the dom about as well as anyone could have. The combination of your team knowing to fly to and around satellites with you managing DPS and being a distraction was more effective than I imagined it would be. If you haven't already seen them and are interested I always put notes in the description.

I'm fairly certain that point where you abandoned B and I followed you to A was where we lost the game. While I kept A safe, B was overwhelmed by your team and we never got it back. That and not going A at the first spawn were critical oversights on my part.

As for the build, it was indeed double-turning which made the turn fights in the Kuat dom a bit unusual--though entertaining. I was experimenting with all sorts of builds at that point--in quest of a good scout counter. I'd agree that in the right hands it could very effectively defend teammates. You pointed out the one time in the dom match that I actually knew Zuck was there and made an effort to keep him alive--definitely something I ought to have been more aware of throughout.

And on the TDM: I honestly don't know what else you could have done there, that was a hard carry on your part. Maybe paying more attention to me would have helped? Maybe not. I didn't realize I was doing that much damage either--it seemed like there was always a food ship in front of me which is a difficult thing to stop from your position.

Unfortunate that I was recording these matches with the wrong bitrate, but all I have is those videos. Glad you were able to get through them without eyestrain or other unpleasant side effects.
Posted Aug 30, 17
Votes:
+223
Level 6
LEVEL 6
Fleet Admiral
It's definitely a good build, I think the clusters helped you a lot more than pods would have in the TDM. Overall I think pods are better in most situations, and I think you usually use pods right?

On a separate note I just watched Drak's stream tonight. I saw you asking about Condor and how to fill your 5th slot. When I am solo queuing I always run Flashfire, Skybolt, Quarrel, Condor, Novadive. When I am group queuing I usually run Flashfire, Skybolt, Quarrel, Rampart, Spearpoint.

For solo queue, my Novadive has TT/wingman/DF/LC/pod/barrel(speed)/regen/C2N2. It has a very niche use of grabbing the DO at the start of a match when the DO is in the middle of the map. I feel like pdive and retro are more useful than barrel on the T2 scout, but maybe it's a personal preference thing. Drak, Mika, and Scrab swore by barrel on their scouts. I think Mika uses pdive more now though. Anyways, as soon as I die I switch to my Skybolt or Quarrel.

I used to main the BLC/cluster/directional/turning thruster Condor back in the day in TDM, but I feel like the Quarrel is a bit better now because gunship chess matches happen more often. However, I still keep that Condor on my bar and I switch to it whenever I feel like the teams are super unbalanced against me. A few weeks ago I was solo queuing on TRE and flying against Neutrinos and a few good pilots. My Skybolt was getting shut down pretty hard by 3 gunships with bomber support. I switched to Quarrel but Neutrinos was all over me and I couldn't survive. Then I switched to Condor and I was able to survive against Neutrinos' scout via constant pdive + shield swapping. In between his attack runs I was able contribute very solid DPS with slug railgun. BTW this is where directional shields really shines. While DF has a 6 second delay in between shields, directional has a 0 second delay. Combined with F2, you can get full shields almost instantly, and it lets you constantly 1v1 that tricky scout enemy. As crazy as it sounds, you can actually kill top scout pilots 1v1 if you play around their cooldowns. Drak recommended the regen thrusters but I really feel like turning thrusters are the right choice on this ship. The advantage is dual purpose. You can center railgun shots easier/quicker due to the extra turning, but you can also melee better against scouts. Also if you are in a group of 2 with no Warcarrier on your team, a team of 2 Condors is great for peeling each other. Vexxial and I used to run that all the time back in the day.
Posted Aug 30, 17 · Last edited Aug 30, 17
List
Undo
Votes:
+33
Level 2
LEVEL 2
SRW Recruit
I appreciate the thoughts, and before I wade into a response: yes, my first scout build was BLC/Pods and I've considered myself to generally be a pods scout pilot ever since. As the previous two matches indicate though, I have tried clusters on occasion.

I was indeed asking Drako for his thoughts on the T3, mostly because I'd never really seen him fly it (with less than two missiles) and wondered why his preferred build didn't make the cut for his ship bar. The first condor build I spent any time in was (I think) a carbon copy of your build, pending any extremely minor differences (like crew). I got it from you so it must have been close...

It worked well for me for quite some time, and I ended up using it in quite a few TDMs. The problems began when I stopped being a gunship-first pilot in TDMs, and a bomber-first pilot in doms. Over the last several months, I've very, very rarely found myself in situations where I felt my team would have the best chance at winning with me in some form of anti-scout gunship (either your condor build, or a feedback T1) or a beacon bomber.

Generally, if I'm not doing well in a scout it's because of the things that a distortion T1 is designed to fight: bombers and gunships. When I was flying the T3 still, I'd end up only using it once in 15-20 matches or so, which lead to enough rust managing directionals that it wasn't worth keeping. Close has pointed out to me that my use of directionals was sacrificing effectiveness in the name of caution, so my mistakes there weren't helping it's case either.

I've tried running two T1 gunships with the feedback version in place of the T3, but I didn't end up flying that much either. The difference there is that feedback was much easier for me to pick up again at the drop of a hat since it does the exact same thing every time you press 2--so I went with that for a while. I was running three scouts and both T1s for a while, but the second T1 gunship felt underused, and the T1 scout build never settled.

To summarize, both T2 scouts, and a traditional distortion/ion gunship are what I realistically log noticeable flight time in, and I can't help but feel that I'd be best served with two of a T1 scout, some anti-scout gunship, and a beacon bomber. I just don't end up playing any two of those three enough to clearly rule out the third and go from there. I'll certainly put the old T3 directionals build back on the list, but part of me is against it.

I know from past build conversations that you prefer to build your ships specifically for one mode or the other, not both. I'm very much the opposite in that ideally I'd like five ships that can be used in both match types to cover more possible situations. That in mind, I can't see myself ever going to the extent that you do with a DO sprint build, or a tensor scout for example. Even that a beacon bomber is completely useless in at least 40% of matches bothers me--similarly with a T3 gunship build that is designed for TDMs.

It's been frustrating not to have a set of five builds that I can actually work on long-term, but my philosophical restrictions may well be to blame for not having that.
Posted Aug 31, 17
Page
of 54
NoticeNotices